How Much Does a Power Steering Belt Cost?
A power steering belt is the part of a car that makes steering almost effortless. Driving a car is done by almost everyone every single day. People drive so much that it almost becomes like second nature. The reason that driving is done so easily, however, is because of the way the cars are made. One of the foremost pieces of equipment that will certainly help in the process of driving is the use of the power steering belt. Augmenting the effort to bring about easy movement, the steering belt will certainly make your job much easier. The power steering belt, however, assists more than just the power steering. The belts in your car’s engine are oftentimes connected to more than one system. Depending on the model of your car, the power steering belt may also control the air condition system, water pump, alternator, or compressor. This makes the belt even more important, and it is necessary to replace it immediately if if break or comes out of place.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a power steering belt is going to cost anywhere from $11 to as much as $48 without any sort of professional installation.
- For instance, this Hyundai and KIA belt retails for $11.
- To get a power steering belt installed, the costs can be around $85 to $150.
- On the website of the larger parts retailer online such as Autopartswarehouse.com, power steering belts for anywhere from $28 to as high as $122.
- A JustAnswer.com answer stated that it should cost no more than $25 for the part and around $150 for the installation process.
What is going to be included?
- A power steering belt comes with the simple stretch of rubber that will push the power of the engine to the pump by the use of the belt. This means that it is often attached to a pulley that operates the movement of the belt.
- The belt will help power various components such as the power steering, water pump, A/C, alternator and compressor.
- The power steering belt itself is smooth on the outside and ribbed on the inside. This provides extra traction to ensure that the belt does not slip off. There is also a part called the tensioner which regulates the amount of stress the belt has on it since this can affect the efficiency of all the systems involved.
What are the extra costs?
- Perhaps the most noted extra expense you will have to pay is the expense of installation. If you are someone who is not adept with the installation of such parts in the car, it would be best to have the car serviced by a professional mechanic. As mentioned above, plan on budgeting at least $100 to $150 for installation with the part included. The process should take no longer than 1 hour, so there should be no need to rent a car.
- Some mechanics recommend that you replace the alternator and A/C belts while the job is being done. This is because the steering belt is behind these parts; if the steering belt is worn out, chances are the other belts are worn as well.
- Notably, another element of cost that would be expected is the warranty of the power steering belt. As the belt is technically cheap in most cases, you might want to be willing to pay more for a brand that offers longer warranties.
Factors that influence the price:
- The make and model of the car would be a major factor that would affect the pricing of the power steering belt. The more high-end the car, the higher the cost of the belt.
- The type of power steering belt that you will need is another factor that would affect the price.
Tips to know:
- Make sure that you buy a belt that is perfect for your car. It is never wise to choose a belt that is for another model of vehicle as you might have to buy another one soon.
- If you want to drive a car for the best speed and variation, choose an original power steering belt.
- It is wise to have a professional do the installation in case you are not familiar with the process. It is just not worth saving $50 if you do not know what you are doing. This can cause a lot of damage if done improperly.
How can I save money?
- Buying replacement parts for your car is always a hard thing to do if you do not know your particular make and model. There are plenty of parts out there in different variations and such. However, if you want to save on these power steering belts, you might want to consider buying an original version to ensure that you do not have to change it frequently. Websites such as Amazon and AutoPartsWarehouse.com can help you find the perfect part for your car.
- Avoid going to the car dealer for this type of repair. They will almost always be more expensive than an independent mechanic.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|