How Much Does Primer Paint Cost?
Primer paint is a type of paint used to cover the walls before the actual paint is applied. This material “primes” the wall so that it is ready to hold and absorb the color of paint you desire. Painting is a great way to upgrade your home’s interior and exterior at a cheap cost. When painting, it is necessary to prepare the surface by applying a coat of primer paint on it. With the help of primer paint, you can save a great amount of paint that you are going to apply on your wall studs and trim. However, before you start this home improvement project, you need to know an overview of the costs.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the brand, the costs of primer paint can range anywhere from as little as $9 to as much as $25 per gallon.
- A quality brand five gallon bucket of primer paint should retail for $70 to $110.
- For instance, according to Amazon.com, the best-sellers in paint primers are the Rust-Oleum Metal Primer that costs $13.55 and Zinsser & Co Qt Gardz Primer that retails for $14.79.
- For a general reference, here are the different types of primer paints from Homedepot.com along with their price average:
- Oil-based ($19.98/GA)
- Latex ($19.98/GA)
- All-purpose ($19.97/ GA)
- enamel ($19.97/GA)
- Paint and primer in one ($31.98/GA)
What is going to be included?
- Primer paint is usually gray in color, and although it is not an absolute necessity, it can make the painting job much easier in a few different ways. First, the primer makes the wall one solid color, meaning that there will not be any noticeable dark or light spots from stains or spots on the wall. Second, the primer paint absorbs the paint and allows for even coverage. Third, because it provides a thick base color, many colors that would normally take up to three coats to cover fully may only need one coat.
- If you are buying primer paint, there are ready-mixed primers with sealers from which you can choose, typically sold by the gallon or in five gallon buckets. One gallon of primer paint will cover up to 400 square feet.
- Sometimes, primer paints come as a package deal. The things included are interior and exterior seal, stain-blocker, and interior and exterior paint.
- Depending on the surface, a specific kind of primer paint should be used. Lowes.com has a guide on what kind of primer you should use for each surface.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying 2-in-1 primer paints can cost more compared to original types of primer paints. This means that paint you choose provides primer quality coverage but includes the color. Hopefully, you will only have to paint the walls one time with this type of paint.
- Primer paints in package deals are more expensive and require additional costs compared to the original and the 2-in-1 primers.
- In addition, if you hire a painter to do the priming and painting, you have to expect additional costs for the labor.
Factors that influence the price
- The size of the surface. The amount of primer to be bought depends on the square footage of the area to be painted.
- The surface texture. You can determine how much primer you need to buy by knowing your wall texture, whether it is rough or smooth. Rougher textures will require more primer and paint in order to soak into all the crevices.
- Labor. You may need to pay the painter for the priming work he will be doing. Assessing this beforehand will help you budget your money for the overall painting job. While labor is optional, it is something to think about. If your time is valuable, sometimes the money spent for labor is worth saving your time.
Tips to know:
- When shopping for primer paints, do not just consider the brand. Some manufacturers reformulate primer paints often to boost performance.
- Choose paint primers that are of high quality despite the price. Do not get blinded by primer paints that are cheap because some of them are low in quality that may lead to future problems such as the paint peeling and tearing off the wall. With a lower quality paint primer, you may find that you will have to put on more than one coat. A good, quality paint should only take one coat of paint if the primer has been chosen and applied appropriately.
- If you are going to buy primer paint online, be sure to factor in the shipping costs. Paint is a heavy product, so shipping may be higher than other items.
How can I save money?
- Like anything, many local hardware stores will hold sales on their painting products. Be sure to keep your eyes open to see what kind of deals you can take advantage of.
- It is advisable to compare at least three different brands. Most stores have small sample packs that can cost less than a few dollars. Bring a handful home and paint a splotch on the wall to see how it would potentially look.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|