How Much Does a Prosthetic Leg Cost?
A prosthetic leg is a false leg, commonly made from plastic, metal, ceramic, or foam, that attaches to the existing portion of the leg to assist the person in walking. Having a disability is such a pain especially for those people who have recently become disabled. One of the common examples of disability is the absence of a leg. Living a life with just one leg is hard because it prevents you from working and doing things that you want to do. This type of lifestyle is hard to adapt to if it is a recent injury. If you are in this kind of situation, then taking a prosthetic leg may be your only choice. However, you may be wondering what the cost of a prosthetic leg may be.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a prosthetic leg is going to vary anywhere from $5,000 to $40,000. Like a lot of items that you purchase daily, the price really comes down to the brand and the material of which the leg is made. Traditionally, most purchases will be less than $15,000.
- According to Disabled-world.com, an artificial leg will cost you around $5,000 to $50,000.
- Other people who already have an artificial leg said that the cost depends on the size and the length of your leg. The price of the local brand ranges from $6,000 to $8,000. However, if you want a high-class prosthetic leg, the cost ranges from $15,000 to $35,000.
- Answers.life123.com stated that a prosthetic leg will cost depending on the type that you want to get. For instance, if you want to place it below your knee, it will cost you around $5,000 to $15,000.
- Always be sure to check with your insurance provider before making a purchase. You may find that your insurance company may pay a portion of the bill. If you do not have a policy or maybe you’re looking for a new one, consider browsing marketplaces such as eHealthInsurance.com.
What is going to be included?
- Specifications are included when you choose prosthetic leg. You may either order a prosthetic leg from trusted online suppliers or you may directly visit a prosthetic fabrication center for accurate qualifications.
- The two most common types of prosthetic legs include below the knee and above the knee.
- In order to get the perfect measurement, the stump and the body will be measured to determine the perfect size for the leg. Once that is done, a silicone liner will be used and the model will be created. Once a model sheet has been created, it has to fit perfectly before the permanent model is made. If the model fit, the plastic and metal parts and formed and the limb is assembled.
What are the extra costs?
- If you visit a prosthetic fabrication center and get your new prosthetic leg, they will be the ones who will attach it. Because of that, they will charge an additional fee for attaching. They will also show you how to remove and attach in case the need arises.
- Some suppliers can customize your prosthetic leg in any way you want. Of course, they will charge you for that extra custom work.
- Over time, the leg is going to wear down; because of this, you may need new parts or an occasional maintenance appointment.
- Because walking on a prosthetic leg can be a challenge, there may be some physical therapy necessary to learn how to walk properly.
Factors that influence the price:
- The quality. High quality prosthetic legs are more expensive than the average ones because they are built from authentic and better materials. Any personalization will cost more as well.
- The length. The prosthetic leg will vary in length as it is made according to the measurements of your leg.
- The weight. There are artificial legs that you can purchase via online and their shipping rates vary depending on the weight of the item.
Tips to know
- You need to practice your walking in order to get used to your artificial leg faster.
- Do not lose your cool when practicing at first. Of course, it is hard to walk in the first week so you need to be patient.
- Do not think of the huge expenses that you have to invest in it because a prosthetic leg will benefit you a lot more than you think, and it will help you in bringing back your confidence and help you live a healthy life once again.
- Because this is a weight bearing prosthetic, do not sacrifice quality. You will use this leg for many years, so you want to make sure that it fits perfectly and is made of high quality materials.
How can I save money?
- As with anything, be sure to compare a handful of brands. Read reviews online and if you can, meet with the store in person to learn more about the product.
- Do not solely focus on the price. Instead, focus on something that is made of quality so that you do not have to constantly bring it in for repairs.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|