How Much Does a Radar Speed Sign Cost?
Radar speed signs, also referred to as speed check signs, are quickly becoming the solution of choice for traffic calming, particularly around school and work zones, neighborhood parks, streets and other areas where the safety of pedestrians is a major concern. They work by refocusing the attention of the driver on his current speed. It has been shown through studies that a well designed radar speed sign unit is very effective in slowing down cars. The radar speed sign will usually be posted directly beneath a sign that gives the posted speed limit so that the driver sees his current speed and the legal limit.
How much is it?
- Radar speed sign costs can vary widely between suppliers from surprisingly affordable to unpleasantly expensive. You can expect to pay about $2,000 to $3,000 for a portable radar speed sign and between $5,000 to $12,000 for the trailer-mounted based units.
- The Safe Pace Radar Feedback sign on Amazon.com retails for $2,600.
- According to Loan.com, some HOAs have purchased these radar speed signs. The author notes that the average sign retails for several thousands dollars; however, those that run on solar power tend to be the cheapest.
- Peds.org claims that radar speed signs will typically cost $4,000 to $5,000. However, portable units can cost as low as $2,700.
What is going to be included?
- Some radar speed signs have a feature that causes the speed sign to go blank at very high speeds if enabled. Others have an option that can cause the radar to flash the speed limit if a very high speed is reached. The radar speed signs offer the best in terms of slowing the traffic. It costs less than many other traffic calming methods. The settings are going to vary from unit to unit.
- Radar speed signs do not obstruct traffic or emergency vehicles in any way. They will either be installed in the ground like a traditional speed limit sign, or they will be placed on the shoulder of the road.
- Radar speed signs can either be powered by an AC adapter or solar power.
- Signs are either going to be mounted to a pole, a stand or hitched up to a trailer. Signs that wrap around a pole will often be 15 to 18 inches in height.
What are the extra costs?
- In addition to the cost of buying a radar speed sign, there is the cost of installation. Plan on spending $100 to $200 per sign.
- The greatest costs variable to consider is that of getting the power to the speed sign. The AC grid connection vary from the simple to very complicated connections which involve road crossings, site repairs, utility location and lost time.
- From time to time, there may be maintenance needed on the sign.
Tips to know:
- When making a decision on a radar speed sign, consider its effectiveness. Check whether it is certified in compliance to the regulations and required for operation since in some cases, an operating license might be required. Common regulations include the MUTCD and FHWA.
- Quality is also another important aspect to consider. The radar speed signs that use multiple design elements are more visible and power effective that those that utilize conventional contrast enhancement and anti-glare techniques.
- Aside from quality, know the size. Some signs are too small for a driver to notice. Make sure that you know the dimensions ahead of time.
- Studies have shown that 35-70% of drivers slow down when they notice a radar speed sign. The average speed is reduced by more than 17%.
- Some people have the misconception that speed radar signs are always set by the police. However, schools and cities can purchase these for cautionary purposes, greatly enhancing the safety measures taken around school zones or other low-speed areas.
- Another common mistake people make regarding speed radar signs is assuming that the machine somehow documents your speed. Some people even believe that these can take pictures of your car. While it is a possibility, most of the radar speed signs you see will simply be to catch your attention.
- Check with your local municipality. Some cities will have ordinances as to where you can put them.
- Even though a radar speed sign can seem costly, it can help control the traffic in your area and can even potentially save a life.
How can I save money?
- In the cost of installation, some radar speed signs are specifically designed to minimize the total cost by getting rid of high amount of installation labor. By purchasing this sort of radar speed sign, you can cut on the overall cost of its acquisition.
- Most government agencies provide grant programs that supplement the costs. Due to the recurrent cost of power consumption of the radar, you can consider the solar powered units since they typically cost less than the AC powered units and they are also easier to install.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|