How Much Does a Ragdoll Cat Cost?
The ragdoll cat is recently becoming more popular in the United States. This breed of cat is created using a careful and selective breeding process; for this reason, this kind of cat can be more expensive than others. A ragdoll cat is known to be temperamental and can survive in any type of living quarters. This particular breed of cat is known to have blue eyes as well as a distinct colorpoint coat with longer hair. The cost of a ragdoll cat is all going to depend on the breeder, the age of the cat, and location.
How much is it?
- The price of a ragdoll cat varies from different locations and owners. On average, this breed can cost anywhere from $400 to $1,000.
- A show quality ragdoll cat can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $1,800; this depends on the breeder and the history of the cat’s blood line.
- Older cats over the age of 2 can often be found at local shelters. Adult cats can cost anywhere from $25 to $200.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are going to purchase the cat from a place outside of your driving area, then you may have to spend an extra amount for the proper animal shipment in order to make sure that your new pet will arrive to your house safely. If you are going to have your cat shipped, be sure to consider pet insurance to protect your investment.
- You also need to comply with the necessary laboratory work-up as well as vet check up to assess the physical and health condition of your ragdoll cat.
- Registration fees will apply according to your local city and county laws.
- As with any pet, every day necessities will cost extra. This includes food, toys, shelter, future vet check ups, etc.
What is going to be included?
- Most breeders and shelters will usually include a start up package including food, toys and other necessary things for your cat. Keep in mind that all breeders will vary in what they include.
- Health certificates and any other records should be included.
Tips to know:
- These cats can weigh up to more than 20 pounds and can take up to five years to fully mature.
- These are some of the least aggressive cats. They tend to show a lot of affection and tend to get along with just about anybody that is around, including pets.
- Since these cats are rather laid back, it’s important that they are kept indoors so that they don’t come in contact with other aggressive animals. They won’t be able to protect themselves with these types of animals.
How can I save money?
- You can call or inquire at different pet shops and shelters near you to know about their different prices.
- It is also very important that you will be familiar with the breeder of your future pet in order to make sure that your ragdoll cat is of quality breeding in order to prevent further unnecessary expenses. Most breeders will allow you to come to their home to see the cats personally.