How Much Does Recharging a Fire Extinguisher Cost?
Recharging a fire extinguisher is a process that replaces the chemical agent that is expelled from the unit. This service is generally done for commercial buildings that have larger extinguishers which use a dry chemical substance. The cost of recharging a fire extinguisher will depend on the size, the type, as well as the company that will be performing the service.
How much is it?
- On average, a basic recharge can cost anywhere from $10 to $30. On top of that charge, an additional $2 to $4 per pound chemical fee will apply as well.
- For example, a 5 pound unit will cost around $35, while a 10 pound unit can cost upwards of $60.
- For example, the fire station in Fridley, Minnesota, allows residents to drop their fire extinguishers off for a recharge. Their fees range anywhere from $9 to $19 depending on the size of the extinguisher.
- Another company in Reno, NV charges $15 for each charge as well as $2.35 per pound for the chemicals.
What are the extra costs?
- If the extinguisher is too old or cannot be recharged, a new one can cost anywhere from $12 to $50 for a simple household version.
- Every 6 to 8 years, it is highly recommended that maintenance is done to ensure that the fire extinguisher is up to code. These maintenance runs can cost anywhere from $30 to $50.
What is going to be included?
- During a recharge, the service will completely refill the extinguisher with a new agent. This process should not take longer than 10 to 20 minutes and can commonly be done at local fire stations or through private services. Keep in mind that single charge fire extinguishers cannot be recharged. To know if your fire extinguisher can be recharged, check for a gauge on the top.
How can I save money?
- It may be more cost efficient to purchase a new extinguisher if the one you have is for household usage. By the time the recharge has been done, the newer one could be the same price if not cheaper. Keep in mind that some fire extinguishers can be recharged as they would only be single-use extinguisher.
- Some fire extinguishers can be refilled if the valve enables you to refill it. Remember that if you ever have questions, it’s always best to talk with the local fire station to ensure that you’re taking the right steps.