How Much Does a Refrigerator Cost?
A refrigerator, or commonly known as a fridge, is a household appliance that cools food below the ambient temperature of the room to extend its shelf life. Cooling is a popular food storage technique as it helps to reduce the production rate of bacteria. Refrigerators have different functionalities and sets of features that help deliver convenience. The price of a refrigerator is going to depend on the type, the features that the fridge has, as well as the store selling it.
How much are typical refrigerator prices?
- Depending on the size of the fridge, the price can vary. On average, the price of a refrigerator can be as low as $300 to as much as $3,000. Common types of refrigerators include french doors, side-by-side, a bottom freezer and top freezer.
- A french door model can cost anywhere from $850 to $1,800. A side-by-side model can cost anywhere from $300 to $1,110. A bottom freezer based model can cost anywhere from $900 to $2,000. A common type such as a top freezer can cost anywhere from $400 to $900.
- A mini refrigerator can cost anywhere from $60 to $330. Common sizes include 1.7, 2.5, 3.2 and 6 cubic feet. For example, the Sanyo SR-A2480M retails for $162 to $190.
- Higher end refrigerators, such as a stainless steel model, can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,300.
- A wine refrigerator that stores wine can cost anywhere from $150 to $600. This will depend on how many bottles the refrigerator can hold. Common capacities include 12, 18 and 24.
- According to the site PriceGrabber.com, refrigerators made by different manufacturers can cost anywhere between $299 and $2,481.
What are the extra costs?
- Since refrigerators are powered by electricity, your electricity bill can be considered to be an additional cost. You may be able to save on electric bills by getting a refrigerator that has a high energy star rating.
- Refrigerators that have built-in water dispensers will need new water filters after so many uses. Newer models will have lights that can show when the filters go bad by turning red. These filters can start $25 depending on the brand.
- While optional, some choose to purchase a thermometer that can give an accurate reading.
- Locks are ideal for those that either have children or for those that do not want people entering because of alcohol, etc. Locks can cost anywhere from $5 to $30. For example, the Safety 1st Lock retails for $7.
- If purchasing a refrigerator with a built-in water dispenser, a water hook-up will be necessary to ensure that the water line can be connected. If one is not present in your home, this will have to be installed by a professional. The price of water line installation will greatly vary depending on the complexity of the job.
What is going to be included?
- Most of the refrigerators sold on the market include a freezer. There are models that have an ice maker as well as a water dispenser.
- Newer models will be energy star qualified to help ease the effect on your energy bill.
- Refrigerators that have ice makers and built-in water dispensers will come with a filter to filter out the water when dispensed.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to measure the area before a fridge is purchased. Refrigerators can come in many shapes and sizes. You are going to want to make sure that you have adequate space in which to fit the refrigerator.
- What kind of features do you want? Make sure that you find one that fits your budget. Higher end, stainless steel refrigerators are going to cost more than a top freezer based model with no ice maker. Features can include temperature controls, ice makers, a reversible door, drawers, glass shelving, deli keepers, gallon jug bins, butter keepers, and more.
- Look at your family size and know how much space you are going to need for your family. A family of two will not need as much as space as a family of six. Refrigerators will come in all sorts of capacities.
Questions to ask yourself:
- How much electricity is this refrigerator going to use? Did you know that more than 8 percent of electricity goes towards a fridge? If you’re going to spend the money, you may want to consider an energy efficient model.
- How much space is available? Take a close look at the refrigerators in any aisle and what you will notice is that they come in all shapes and sizes. Refrigerators will be measured by cubic feet. Be sure to study the dimensions
- What is the size? Aside from the space that is available within the refrigerator, it’s also important to take a look at the dimensions. Just make sure that this new refrigerator will fit in the space designated in your kitchen.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Buy a refrigerator that has a high energy rating. This will allow you to save on electricity and will enable you to save money in the long run.
- Get a fridge that will simply suit your needs as they are available in different sizes. Try to identify the amount of space that you need so that you will be able to buy the right sized refrigerator.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|