How Much Does Drywall Patching/Repair Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Drywall patching is a process where the original drywall will either be repaired using drywall compound and tools or replaced by a smaller patch of drywall. Which type of repair is used depends on the size of the hole and the extremity of the problem. Repairing drywall isn’t a hard job, but larger jobs can get tricky. The cost of repairing drywall is going to depend on the complexity of the job, the contractor, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- A smaller job that is less than a few inches wide would require about an hour to fix; this will cost anywhere from $65 to $110 per patch. Jobs that are larger than 12 to 15 inches or require an entire sheet of drywall can vary in price from $200 to $350; this job will most likely take about 3 hours. On average, expect to pay between $120 to $300 per drywall patch job that is larger than a piece of paper.
- To repair a whole wall, the labor alone can range from $1 to $3 per square foot. Factor in another $0.20 to $1 per square foot for material.
- Drywall repair kits are available in local stores such as Home Depot and other various hardware stores. These kits include everything that you need to fix smaller holes. These kits can cost anywhere from $10 to $50.
- For example, the Marshalltown DP8 Drywall Repair Kit retails for $7 to $10.
- According to the website AskTheHandyman.net, the cost of repairing drywall is going to greatly depend upon the size of the job. Most simple repair jobs are going to hover around the $150 mark. Higher estimate jobs are going to require a drywall path, 3-5 hours of labor and a sheetrock spray while a low estimate job will only take around 1 hour with a simple primer and paint coat.
What are the extra costs?
- If you don’t have the original paint to match the color of the walls, paint will be required to paint over the patch.
- For those that want to do it themselves, additional tools such as a scraper and sander will be necessary to ensure that the wall is smooth upon completion.
What is going to be included?
- A drywall expert will be able to repair the drywall, including patching the hole along with sanding, painting, and priming the finished product. Keep in mind that it may take up to 2 to 3 days to dry before it can be painted.
- During most procedures, a piece of drywall will be cut to size to cover the hole or replace the area. The drywall will be screwed in and then taped with drywall tape. One taped, it will require a compound followed by sanding and paint.
How can I save money?
- Repairing smaller holes in the drywall such as nail holes is really quite simple. There are many resources online that teach you how to patch holes. A patch kit should cost no more than $20.
- Those that want to hire a professional can use services such as Service Magic to find contractors for a low rate in their area.