How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Broken Tail light?
Replacing a broken tail light can refer to either fixing a broken light and case or it can refer to repairing the electrical wiring that makes the light work. When driving a vehicle, it is imperative that you keep up on its maintenance. If you want to assure the safety of your vehicle, you would need to check it regularly for necessary repairs. For instance, having a broken tail light needs to be immediately addressed by either repairing or replacing the tail light. The tail light of a car is what allows the drivers behind you to know that you are braking or that you are turning, both which are vital to the safety of those in the vehicles. Each make and model of car may have different tail lights, so you need to have an idea of what type of tail light is suitable for your vehicle’s make and model.
How much does it cost?
- The tail light part alone costs around $15 to $180 depending on the car model. Most people will be capable of replacing this part themselves. If you are just replacing the bulb, plan on spending less than $35. If you have to replace the whole light, including the cover, it can cost upwards of $100 to $300.
- However, if you want to hire a professional mechanic to install the tail light for you, the costs can go up. For the entire installation, plan on spending around $90 to $300 for labor. Most jobs should take no longer than one hour. If the job requires a replacement of the bumper or any other parts, the costs can go up.
- Usually, you can call the original equipment manufacturer dealer parts department and have them look it up for the cost of the tail light. A tail light sold on eBay, for example, costs around $20. A pair of bulbs also cost around $5. A tail lamp assembly costs around $45 to $99 each.
- According to a thread on City-data.com, some users claimed that they paid anywhere from $15 at a scrap yard to as much as $174 for a new lens.
What is going to be included?
- The tail light replacement will include the bulb and may also include the tail lamp assembly.
- Check the tail light seller or distributor if shipping or delivery costs are included in the selling price.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs may be incurred for shipping or delivery costs especially if you order online or in other states.
- If you hire someone to install the tail light, you will be charged with labor costs. Bringing your vehicle to a nearby car repair shop for repair or replacement of tail lights will also mean additional expenses.
- If other parts are broken, such as the taillight cover, you may have to budget for those additional costs.
- A damaged tail light can often lead to parts around it to become damaged. For instance, if the bumper has slight damage, this may have to be replaced or touched up to make it look like new again.
Factors that affect the cost:
- Make and model. The make and model of your car will determine the parts that are needed, and each one may cost slightly different.
- Brand. There are many manufacturers that make parts for your car. Those with the best reputations will probably cost the most, but they will also be of the highest quality.
- Severity. If the internal setting of the light is not damaged, the repair will be much cheaper than if the base unit also needs replacing.
- Auto shop. The shop to which you take your car will have the right to determine the price. This will depend on the experience and reputation of the shop and the mechanic.
Tips to know:
- Learn how to install your vehicle’s tail light once it gets broken because this skill could come in handy. The first step is to know what kind of car you have (the model, make, and year) and then shop for a replacement tail light.
- You can check out ehow.com for tips on how to replace a broken tail light.
- Properly follow the procedure when replacing a broken tail light to avoid problems later on. Usually, an older car will have screw holes all around.
How can I save money?
- In order to save money, you can shop around for the best price. You can start by checking out local dealers, local salvage yards, and online stores like Amazon.com and eBay for great finds. You can then compare prices of tail lights and then buy the most affordable one.
- Purchase tail lights on sale so that you can save money. Some stores selling car parts would also offer discounts for several purchases.
- Avoid the dealer. Most dealers often charge 50% more than the local mechanic shop.
- Consider checking out the local junk yard. You would be amazed at what kind of parts you can find for next to nothing.
- If you do not know how to replace the light yourself, ask a friend or neighbor for help instead of taking it straight to a repair shop.