How Much Does Repointing a Chimney Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Re-pointing a chimney is a procedure wherein the external parts of the mortar joints of a chimney are renewed. Over time, decay and weathering will cause a void in the joints of masonry units that allows ingress of water; this can lead to the weakening of the chimney. Re-pointing a chimney can be performed by the homeowner himself, but there are also companies that provide professional service at a cost. The price for re-pointing of a chimney depends on several factors which includes the rate the company charges for the service as well as the amount of damage that needs to be fixed.
How much is it?
- On average, re-pointing a chimney can cost anywhere from $20 to $35 per row.
- According to the site AllProChimney.com can range anywhere from $200 to $450 depending on the size of the chimney.
- CTChimneyRepair.net is a site that provides chimney re-pointing services. This service can provide services for all sorts of damage that a chimney can incur. They offer chimney re-pointing services that can range in price from $250 to $500. This is going to all depend on the size of the chimney.
- A company that specializes in mortar repairs, Masonry-Restoration.com, provides service for chimneys, but they also provide masonry restoration for any structures. Chimney re-pointing services through them can cost anywhere from $375 to $450.
What are the extra costs?
- If the damage has gone to the foundation of the chimney, the additional repair needed to fix the chimney will be considered an additional cost. The price for this will depend on the rate the company charges.
- If the bricks were customized or they are hard to find, specialized orders may have to be placed. During the re-pointing process, the contractor will try his best to match the bricks that were already installed in the first place.
- If the chimney cannot be re-pointed, it may have to be completely replaced. If this it the case, the price will be much higher.
- Chimneys that have had a lot of water damage may require more work because the damage is going to cover a larger area.
What is going to be included?
- During the process, a contractor will repair any mortar or loose bricks that need to be fixed on the chimney. The first thing that they will do is remove all of the loose joints. Once removed, the joints will be grinded with a tool such as a chisel. The surface will then be brushed out with water. After the surface has been flushed out, a new mortar will be applied. This mortar will have a bonding agent that will allow the new brick to bond appropriately.
- The payment will cover several aspects of the re-pointing process. First, the materials that the contractors will use, such as the mortar and bricks, will be covered by the payment. Second, the labor fee will also be included with the estimated price the contractor will provide.
Tips to know:
- When a chimney has excessive water damage or settling issues, it may be time to ask about a re-pointing job.
- A cracked chimney may be the result of the house settling. Look for joints that are separating apart from each other, as this will be a good sign of the house settling in.
How can I save money?
- Most establishments offer discounts for their repair services. They can provide up to 30% discount depending on the location. Try to hire a contractor in the off-season if considering one. When hiring a professional, consider using services such as Service Magic to help find the best quotes in your local area.
- Another way to save money is to perform the re-pointing yourself. This will enable you to save on labor costs that can be expensive. Keep in mind that this type of job is ideal for those that have masonry experience. If you do not have this type of experience, it is wise to save yourself the trouble and hire a professional.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|