How Much Does Resizing a Ring Cost?
Resizing a ring is the process where a professional jeweler will take any type of ring and re-size to either a bigger or smaller size. As people grow older, finger shapes and sizes can change, making it hard to wear the ring comfortably. The cost of resizing a ring is going to depend on the type of ring, the jeweler performing the job, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a ring resizing can cost anywhere from $10 to $110 depending on the type of the ring.
- Rings that contain white or yellow gold can be toward the lower end, while expensive rings such as an engagement ring can be toward the higher price range.
- If the ring was purchased within the last year, the ring may be under warranty. Many jewelers are more than happy to re-size the ring at no cost, if still covered. Check warranty information or call the jeweler where the ring was purchased to get more information.
- It’s not uncommon to find the original jewelry store where it was purchased from to have them do it for free. Contact the original store and discuss your options.
- According to a message board thread over on the website DiamondRing.com, users have stated that a re-size could range anywhere from $60 to as much as $100. Users stated that you should be weary for those that are going to spend more than $100 on the job.
What are the extra costs?
- Making a ring larger, rather than smaller can cost more since additional material will be required to have the ring appropriately re-sized.
- If stones have to be moved around within the ring, some jewelers may back out of the process because of the difficulty. If a jeweler does agree upon doing the procedure, it can cost extra.
- A ring with more than one diamond can cost extra since the jeweler will have to take out a few diamonds and place them back again.
What is going to be included?
- During the process, two open ends will be formed on the bottom of the ring, removing the shank metal. When this excess metal is removed, the ring will be soldered together to the appropriate size. GemNation.com has a step by step guide on how the process is done.
How can I save money?
- Check with the original jeweler where the ring was purchased. Many jewelers may do it for free depending on their policy. If it was purchased online, either talk with the jeweler online or consult with a few jewelers in the area to see who can offer the best service at the lowest price.
- Always leave this type of job up to the professional. A resizing job can be done on your own, but it should be left up to an expert as a bad job can do a lot of damages.
- Be sure to talk with at least three jewelers in your area. What you’re going to find is that many of them are going to greatly vary with their pricing.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|