How Much Does Restoring a Piano Cost?
Restoring a piano is a procedure performed to repair, tune and polish a piano to restore it to a like new condition. Since there are different parts of the piano, the restoration process can take several months to finish depending on what parts are in need of restoration. Restoration will include the repair of any physical damages and will also entail the tuning of the piano to make sure that the notes are correct when a key is pressed. The price for restoring a piano depends on the type of piano, the professional restoring the piano, as well as other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, restoring a piano can cost anywhere from $500 to as much as $25,000. Each restoration process is going to be completely unique. An older, rarer model is going to cost more than a generic piano that has a lower resale value. Overall, the basic restoration job will be within the $5,000 to $11,000 price range.
- The restoration process can be broken down into sections. For example, if the case and bench only need to be restored, the restoration process can cost $2,500 to $6,000. Fixing the strings and motor for a complete retuning could cost $3,000 to $8,000.
- According to the site PianoArtisans.com, the price will vary depending on the type of piano and the type of restoration needed. The cost for the procedure can range anywhere from $2,900 to $25,500.
- A company such as SweeneyPiano.com specializes in restoring grand and baby grand pianos. The company has been in the business for more than 30 years and they offer the restoration process for $1,000 to $9,000.
- Another company such as LindebladPiano.com will restore it at various prices. The company usually repairs any type of pianos and the price for it can range from $1,150 to $11,050. Again, this is going to depend on the brand and size of the piano.
What are the extra costs?
- Most restoration jobs will have to happen at the shop. Because of this, additional fees such as shipping to the store may apply. Specialized piano movers can help with the moving process or the restoration company may have connections as well. Moving a piano can start at $200. If the piano has to be shipped across the United States, shipping can cost as much as $1,000 for one way.
- Once you make a complete payment, the piano restoration procedure will be performed by the selected individual. All of the needed items as well as the materials that the company will use will be included with the payment made.
What is going to be included?
- During a restoration process, things such as the case will be refinished. Additional items including the bench can be refinished as well. Hardware such as the hinges, veneer and case parts will all be part of the restoration process. Strings may be replaced as well depending on the age. Most strings can last upwards of 60 to 75 years. The motor will also be inspected to ensure that it is up to par. If in poor condition, the motor may be refurbished or replaced as well.
- Some companies may help with the moving of the piano to the restoration premises, then back to the house of the piano owner after the job has been done.
Tips to know:
- Piano restoration experts do not have be certified. Unlike other fields such as food and home building, it is essential to learn more about the expert’s credentials. Consider checking certifications through programs such as the Piano Technicians Guild.
- Talk with a professional before considering get a restoration done. Be sure to know of the value of the piano before and after the job is done. If the restoration brings the value up significantly, it may be ideal to go through with the process.
How can I save money?
- Consider the cost of restoring a piano and check if it is still worth restoring a run down unit. Talk with a piano expert to see if it is worth rebuilding. Most will give an honest answer. If you decided to go for it, look for restoration experts that have good reviews and compare their prices to know what they have to offer.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|