How Much Do Resume Services Cost?
In today’s economy and job market, one of the most important tools a person can have is a well-written resume. Hiring a professional resume writer can give you the advantage you need when applying and interviewing for a new position.
How much is it?
- The price of a resume can vary depending on the type of job for which you are applying. A resume written for an entry-level position will cost much less than a resume written for an executive position. Most resume services, such as e-Resume, will charge between $100 and $250 for a basic resume to be written or edited. This same service will prepare a cover letter to accompany your resume for $50. However, they also have packages including a resume and cover letter together for $105.
- Some resume services also provide the delivery of your resume to its recipient. For example, cpresumes.com offers a package for $200 that includes the resume, cover letter, thank-you letter, and job site delivery.
- Some companies have interview coaching available as well. Services such as mvpsource.com have coaching packages ranging from $80-$300.
- Another service such as ResumesPlanet.com offers services starting as low as $70.
What is going to be included?
- Editing of a resume will usually include the basic editing techniques as well as the polishing, or changing some wording if necessary, of your resume.
- Resume writing services will include gathering your information, through email, over the phone, or in person, and writing the resume based on what type of job you are seeking and what type of experience you have.
- Package deals will include extras such as a cover letter, a follow-up thank you letter, and delivery of the resume to the job site(s).
- Interview coaching includes things like job-specific sample questions, salary negotiation strategies, and email follow-ups.
What are the extra costs?
- Most resume companies also offer CV (curriculum vitae) writing services. The difference between a resume and CV is the information included: resumes are usually limited to schooling, jobs, and work-place experience, but a CV can include more details about your life that may help qualify you for a specific position. A CV service will cost between $150-$250.
- Add-ons such as writing a cover letter can cost more due to the fact that this is separate from the resume.
- Editing down the road once the resume has been accepted can be additional expense. Keep in mind that many services will be more than happy to edit during the initial purchase.
Questions to ask:
- How long does the process have? How many years of experience do you have writing resumes?
- Can I see examples? Do you have any references? Do you know the interview rate?
- How much do you charge and what am I going to get in return?
- Will you actually write my resume or will you hand it off to someone else?
- Do you have any type of certification? What is your educational background?
- Do you work with a particular field? Do you specialize with one?
How can I save money?
- The cheapest way to use a resume writing service is to collect and compile all of your own information and then only have them edit and polish it. This is usually the cheapest service; however, it will take a lot more work on your part.
- Most services provide package deals which include more than one service. This is usually the cheapest per-service price.
- You may also want to consider picking up some Resume books.
- If choosing a service, consider a package that puts everything together such as a resume, cover letter and thank you letter. This is a great way to save money as a bulk order, rather than purchasing them individually.
How to compare prices:
- When searching for a resume writing company, use services such as best10resumewriters.com to compile a list of suggested companies. Services that make a list such as this, however, will quite often be more expensive than a less popular company.
- Most resume writing websites offer samples of their work for you to read.