How Much Does Reupholstering a Car Cost?
Reupholstering a car is a restoration procedure performed to a car interior that involves changing or upgrading car upholstery such as carpet, car seats and door panels. Reupholstering a car may involve upgrading the whole interior or just the specific parts as requested by the vehicle owner. The price for this procedure depends on the type of car as well as the make and model. Different cars have different interiors that are unique, which can affect the price for the process. Another factor why the price can be different is the type of upholstery that needs to be replaced, such as fabric or leather.
How much is it?
- On average, reupholstering a car seat can cost anywhere from $120 to as much as $450 per seat. The type of material can greatly influence the price. For example, leather seats are going to cost a lot more than vinyl material.
- Reupholstering a car completely can range anywhere from the low $300’s to as much as $2,000.
- According to the site Auoupholsterykits.com, the price for the upholstery for different types of cars such as Honda and Nissan can range anywhere from $389 to $414. This is the cost for reupholstering the seats alone. Something such as carpets can range anywhere from $145 to $226.
- CarCraft.com gives a breakdown of the cost for the procedure. It shows that the price for reupholstering a car can reach anywhere from $600 to $700, which includes seat covers, lock buttons, and others.
- According to the site CarsDirect.com, the price for reupholstering car seats for various cars can range from $125 to $350 per seat.
What is going to be included?
- Most companies will work directly with the factory. If the car is not that old, the exact fabric can be matched to what’ is already in the car. Depending on what is chosen, the seats, carpets, side panels, headliners and more can all be replaced. If the carpet matches from the factory, the expert may be able to fix the problem area alone rather than replace the entire interior of the car.
- The establishment that performs the reupholstering will include all of the necessary services needed to finish the job. They will also polish and clean up after the procedure has been completed.
What are the extra costs?
- Depending on the company performing the job, they may charge extra for additional material such as the carpet, the headliners, stuffing and panels.
- The additional cost will be the after care procedure that the owner needs to perform to maintain the upholstery’s integrity after the reupholstering is performed. Cleaning materials and chemicals will be needed.
How can I save money?
- Do not attempt to replace or change your car interior unless it is actually necessary. Try to resist the temptation of having the interior changed especially if they it is usable. Since irather hard to match the exact material, it may be required to replace the entire interior.
- Be specific when having your interior changed. Only reupholster the interior part that needs it badly to avoid additional costs. Even if the material does not match exactly, as long as you can get it close it will be worth the money you save.
- Consider purchasing seat covers for a fraction of the cost. These covers can protect the seats from anymore wear and tear. These covers are ideal for those that have younger children or animals.
- Consider looking for kits online. These kits are designed so that people can do it on their own. There are various resources online that can help assist with the process. By doing it yourself, you may be able to save a few hundred dollars.