How Much Does an Indian Ringneck Parrot Cost?
The Indian ringneck parrot, also known as the Rose-ringed parakeet, is a tropical bird that has a large range of size and color, and they can be bred in many different settings. Popular as pets, the ringneck parrot can average 16 inches long and the tail can account for the majority of its length. The main reason that the cost of a ringneck parrot can fluctuate is because of the color of the bird.
How much is it?
- The cost of a ringneck will often depend upon the age of the bird, the breeder selling it, the species of parrot, and the geographical location. On average, the cost of this type of parrot can range anywhere from $100 to as much as $1,200 for a rarer species or color.
- A common bird such as those green and blue in color can be within the $250 to $450 range, while the grays and turquoise birds can cost as much as $600 to $1,000. A rarer ringneck such as the violets and cleartails can cost more than $1,000 each.
- On a forum thread on the website ParrotForums.com, users claimed that they could find ringnecks that range anywhere from $50 to as much as $1,000.
What are the extra costs?
- The diet of a ringneck will often include foods such as nuts, seeds, berries and even fruits. Owners are often advised to set aside at least $30 per month to adequately feed each bird.
- Rarer species often have to be purchased outside of state lines. If you do not have the time or resources to pick the bird up, the costs of shipping one can often start at $150 and go up from there depending upon how it has to be shipped.
- The start up costs of a parrot will include a parrot cage, supplies, and other various materials. See: “How much does a parrot cage cost?” Due to the size of their jaw, these birds often like to chew on toys. Plan on budgeting at least a few hundred dollars to ensure that you have the proper set up.
What is going to be included?
- The male ringneck parrots will have a colored ring around their neck, while the younger bird and females will not have the ring at all. Some females can have a ring, but it will often be a pale, grey color.
Tips to know:
- Many experts recommend that you purchase more than one bird so that they can keep each other company. Since these are rather social animals, it is best to adopt two at a time to ensure that they are living a healthy lifestyle.
- The average lifespan for this bird can be as long as 40 years. Even if an older bird is purchased, it could still live well beyond its adoption date.
How can I save money?
- Talk with a few breeders in your local area. If possible, try to adopt a bird that is within traveling distance. By adopting one locally, most will be able to avoid the shipping charges that often occur with birds.
- Consider going after birds that are older. These birds tend to be cheaper than the younger ones. As mentioned in the tips, these parrots can live up to 40 years or more.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|