How Much Does Rock Salt Cost?
Rock salt, technically known as halite, is the mineral form of sodium chloride. The grains of rock salt are about the size of a large pebble, but can be put in a grinder to make traditional salt. While it may seem strange, there are actually quite a few uses for rock salt. The most common use for rock salt is to help provide traction on the roads during the snowy season. This salt can also be spread on icy driveways and sidewalks to avoid slips and falls. Another use of rock salt is to be used in cooking. There are specific salt shakers that have a grinder attached to grind your own salt onto your food. There is also a type of rock salt that is used when making ice cream. Finally, rock salt is used in my household water softeners. Finally, rock salt can be used in exfoliating scrubs since the coarseness can help to remove dead skin cells and clear out the skin’s pores.
Rock salt is usually white or colorless rock salt forms naturally as isometric crystals when the saline water of the sea or a large lake evaporates, sometimes hundreds of meters deep. Once this process is complete, it is mined from underground deposits in areas such as inland marginal seas, dry lakes as well as estuaries and bays. The crystals are then treated with an anti-caking agent and put into storage to await transportation.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a 50-pound bag of rock salt will retail for $5 to $8 per bag.
- On the other hand, rock salt that is used to create ice cream can cost $8 to $13 for a small four pound container.
- For example, this Morton Ice Cream Salt box retails for $13.
- If the rock is going to be purchased by the ton, plan on spending around $60 to as much as $90.
- Gosalt.com sells rock salt in bulk. Here, a 50 pound bag with 49 pallets is sold for $6.50. If you want to purchase pails of rock salt, these can cost around $22.
- According to a forum thread on the website Plowsite.com, a supplier of rock salt shared that an 80 pound bag is priced around $5.50.
What is going to be included?
- The rock salt purchased will be placed in bags or pails. Bags commonly come in 25 and 50 pound bags.
- The other things that are included will depend on your purpose for the rock salt as well as the form in which you buy it.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of rock salt. There are many different types of rock salt, but the two that are most commonly used are white de-icing salt and brown rock salt. The latter is traditionally used to de-ice roads, driveways and footpaths since it is traditionally coarser, whereas the white de-icing product is used to de-ice our schools, hospitals, places of work, footpaths and entrance ways since it is a cleaner alternative to brown salt.
- Geographical location. Rock salt sold in New York is going to be more expensive compared to the rock salt sold in Pennsylvania. Rock salt will be cheaper in rural areas but can also be cheaper when it is sold close to where it is found.
Tips to know:
- If you are going to apply rock salt as a way to melt the snow, make sure that you apply before the snow starts to fall. This is going to help the ice from building up. If you wait until after, you will still see positive effects, but rather than preventing ice from forming, the ice will have to work to break down the ice.
- When choosing rock salt to melt the snow, make sure that you choose the right kind. For example, if the temperatures are going to drop below 5 degrees Fahrenheit, it is best to find a rock salt that contains calcium chloride. If the temperatures are going to be above 5 degrees, look for a salt that contains active ingredients such as potassium.
- Always lay this type of rock salt on concrete to prevent it from becoming damaged from freeze-thaw cycles.
- Salt that is used on an asphalt driveway can cause damage to the asphalt if there is prolong use. Once the snow and ice are gone, it is a good idea to brush the salt off the driveway as much as possible.
Questions to ask:
- What method do you use to mine the salt?
- Are Material Safety and Data sheets available for your products?
How can I save money?
- Get a quote from different companies to get cheaper rock salt.
- If you are just getting rock salt for your driveway, for example, you are best off heading to a local hardware store such as Lowe’s or Home Depot to purchase a smaller bag.
- The more you purchase in bulk, the more you are going to be able to save.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|