How Much Does a Rowing Machine Cost?
A rowing machine is one of the many pieces of workout equipment that you may see in a gym or in a person’s home. If you ask any fitness trainer, he may tell you that the machine that will give you the best total body work out would have to be the rowing machine. While this machine would provide great training for athletes of all body types, they are not the only one who can use it. This low impact cardiovascular workout machine will not strain your joints and muscles, making it an ideal choice for those with knee and joint problems. As a matter of fact, the rowing machine will define the muscles in your upper and lower extremities. While toning these muscles, it will also help you lose weight by burning calories since it provides cardio as well. It is also a good device recommended by physical therapy clinics. While providing a great low-impact workout and helping you to lose weight, the rowing machine will also help you increase your physical stamina and endurance. The more you use the machine, the easier it will be and the longer you will be able to do it.
How much does it cost?
- Like any piece of exercise equipment, the costs will greatly depend on the features, the brand, resistance and the particular model. On average, a rowing machine can cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $1,100.
- Target.com is one of the few stores that sell everything including rowing machines. The Stamina Air Rower, for example, retails for $299. A cheaper alternative would be the Stamina Avari Easy Glide Rower which retails for $199. On the other hand, the Stamina ATS Air rowing machine sells for $399, and the most expensive rowing machine here is the Kettler R-400 Rower which retails for $799. While some of these models may be found in store, others may only be available online.
- Sears is also another big name retailer that sells rowing machines. Here, the Lifecore LCR88 rowing machine retails for $850. The Stamina ATS Air Rower sells for $500, and the LifeSpan Fitness Exercise Rowing Machine is $675. A higher end model such as the Stamina Avari Programmable Magnetic Rower is $850.
What is going to be included?
- Most rowing machines have an over-sized seat rail. They will also feature a padded upholstery on the seat so it will be comfortable during the exercise since most people prefer a longer rowing workout.
- 99% of the rowing machines on the market are made from a metal. However, higher end models can be made from wood.
- Most rowing machines are foldable. This allows the machine to be put away when it is not in use. This will save room in your home.
- The rowing machine also has display indicators showing the number of calories burned and the time elapsed. There may even be different programs that you can use with different resistance to make the workout more interesting. These rowing machines may be run on batteries or they may plug into an outlet.
- Lastly, most rowing machines offer a limited product warranty that generally lasts 1 to 5 years. This will depend on the manufacturer as well as the store selling the product.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs include the shipping and product insurance once it is shipped.
- If the machine runs on batteries, these will need to be replaced every so often.
Factors that influence the price:
- Size. A rowing machine could be as big as a two-seat sofa. Price will change depending on its size.
- Resistance type. There are different resistance types, namely the hydraulic piston, air, magnetic and water.
Tips to know:
- A good rowing machine must have adjustable positions so you will have full range of motion for every stroke.
- Identify your fitness goals. It greatly determines the kind of rowing machine you should buy. If you want to lose weight, buy a rowing machine that has light resistance. If you want to build strength, go for rowing machines with increased tension levels.
Questions to ask:
- What warranty do you offer for the rowing machine?
- Does it have multi-function performance monitor?
- What does the LCD screen display?
- Does it have wheels for easy portability?
- Is it easy to fold for storage?
How can I save money?
- Buy the rowing machine online. Usually, companies offer discounts and promos if you purchase online. Before you purchase online, get a grasp on what the machine can do for you by trying it out in a store. When you find one that you like mark the model number down and see what you can find online. Most stores online are going to be cheaper than your local store, even if you have to pay shipping charges.
- Take advantage of sales around the holidays. Fitness machines are one of the most common things to find on sale after the new year.
- Read reviews of rowing machines so you will have a better idea of what you are trying to find. Most reviews come in with write-ups from fitness trainers and experts.
- Purchasing used equipment is a great way to save money. If you do not mind purchasing used, this is a great way to save upwards of 40%.