How Much Do Saint Bernard Puppies Cost?
The St. Bernard is one of the largest working dogs available today. The average St. Bernard can weigh anywhere from 130 to 275 pounds. Their coat can be either smooth or shaggy, depending on the dog. This breed is well known for its size, dark eyes, and long tail. The cost of one will vary depending on the age, quality breeder, and location.
How much is it?
- On average, a Saint Bernard puppy can cost anywhere from $340 to as much as $1,300.
- A pure pedigree Bernard is going to cost significantly more than one that is not a purebred. A pedigree will be near the $1,000 range, while one that is not a pedigree can be in the lower $600 range.
- Older Bernards that are older than 2 years can cost anywhere from $75 to $450.
- According to the website NextDayPets.com, they have breeders that sell this particular breed for a price ranging anywhere from $600 to as much as $1,200. The higher end dogs are going to be more of a champion line, with an outstanding ancestry past.
What are the extra costs?
- For breeders outside of your state, transportation fees may apply if you choose to have the puppy shipped. Shipping charges can range anywhere from $150 to $400 depending on the transportation method.
- Vet checkups, vaccinations, and city registration fees will all apply at an early age. Puppies tend to see the vet more often than an older Bernard. Saint Bernards are also known to have more health problems compared to other breeds.
- Necessary maintenance in the future such as dog food, toys, shelter, and more will be required in order to ensure that the dog is living a long, healthy life.
What is going to be included?
- Reputable breeders will include all paperwork showing its medical history as well as other information such as the breeder’s and parent’s information and more.
- Registered pedigrees will also have paperwork.
- Today, most breeders will include 30 days worth of pet insurance for free. If this isn’t included, consider asking for it to protect your investment.
Tips to know:
- Saint Bernards can eat upwards of 12 cups of food a day. Most breeds are going to require a higher grade dog food to prevent health problems in the future.
- Be sure to train this particular breed as early as possible. Due to its size, this can be an unsafe dog around children and other humans if not trained correctly. Most experts state that this dog can be very easy to train as long as they are trained at an early age.
- These dogs tend to shed a lot, so be sure to brush and bathe them on a weekly basis.
- These are very gentle and friendly dogs. They can also socialize very well with other animals as well.
How can I save money?
- Try to find a breeder locally so that you don’t have to pay the shipping fees. For those that want an older dog, consider going to the local Humane Society to see if they have an older dog available. Adoption is generally the cheapest route to go.