How Much Does Saliva Testing Cost?
A saliva test can be done to detect an off balance of hormones, drugs in the body, as well as help detect thyroid issues. One of the main reasons people purchase a saliva test is to either detect deficiencies or imbalances in their hormones. The test can detect your stress levels, your mental performance, and more. These tests can either be done in a local medical laboratory or they can be done in the comfort of your own home.
How much is it?
- For hormone testing, a laboratory is going to charge anywhere from $25 to $55 per hormone or container. These tests can be done at home and shipped off to the laboratory. These tests generally have a 21 to 30 day turnaround to get your results.
- For a five in one test that includes an indication of estradiol, progresterone, testosterone, DHEA, and cortisol, the cost can be anywhere from $135 to $200.
- For example, JohnLeeMD.com offers a wide variety of tests that can be done in the comfort of your own home. These tests can range anywhere from $35 to $200. You simply have to purchase a kit, provide a saliva sample, and mail it back to the lab for your results.
- For those with a health insurance policy, be sure to check with your provider to see if a test like this would be covered.
- According to one pharmacy that performs these tests, the saliva testing can cost anywhere from $30 per hormone to as much as $150 for 5 hormones.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping and expedited results can cost extra. Most labs are going to take up to 30 days to process your results. An expedited result can be mailed back to you within 7 days.
What is going to be included?
- A lab will ship out a kit that includes instructions on how to process your saliva. A saliva sample will be placed in a tiny vial and mailed back to the laboratory itself. Payments as well as a requests can be done online. It should also include necessary paperwork that will include items such as your name, medical history, and more.
Tips to know:
- With saliva testing, a prescription won’t be required. If you want to have this testing covered by your insurance company, it’s important that you receive a prescription in order to be covered for this.
How can I save money?
- Lab tests through the mail are going to be a lot cheaper than visiting your local doctor’s office. By purchasing a kit in the mail, you will not only going to be able to use a professional laboratory to get your results, you are going to be able to bypass office exam fees, etc.
- A saliva test is going to be a lot cheaper than a blood test. While the test can give you the results you are looking for, it is always best to discuss the final results with your family doctor.
- Insurance companies can pay for something such as this test only if it’s deemed medically necessary. Consult with your insurance company to see if they would cover something such as this.