How Much Does a Sam’s Club Membership Cost?
Sam’s Club is an American chain of warehouse clubs that is owned and operated by Wal-Mart stores. Founded in 1983, the warehouse caters to more than 47 million members. In a warehouse setting, you can buy items in bulk. While it may seem more expensive up front, the items will also last you a lot longer. In order to get these savings, however, you will need to pay a yearly membership fee.
How much is it?
- A Sam’s Club membership will cost $45 a year for the basic membership. For the business membership, the cost is also $45 a year, and the Sam’s Club Plus membership is $100 a year.
- To get up-to-date information and details about each type of membership, refer to this official Sam’s Club membership page.
What is going to be included?
- A Sam’s Club basic membership at $45 a year gives a customer access to thousands of values, internet access and ship-to-store option on certain items and optical discounts.
- A Sam’s Club business membership at $45 a year will include all of the above, plus early hours to come and shop before other customers come in the store and you can add up to eight additional people on the membership to use for business purposes; optical and pharmaceutical discounts are also included.
- A Sam’s Club plus membership for $100 a year allows you to add up to 16 others to the membership and save up to 2% cash back on your Sam’s Club Membership Discovery card. Members will also receive an extra year of protection on warranty and protection plans and receive discounts monthly on items throughout the store.
- Sam’s club grocery department offers everything from fruit and meat to frozen foods, boxed foods, and beverages. They even offer items such as toilet paper and laundry detergent. Sam’s Club is more than groceries and home goods, however; depending on the season, they have things such as yard necessities, furniture, clothing, winter items, etc.
- Aside from food and goods, the membership also includes many services that members can use.
- Pharmacy – At Sam’s Club, you can fill new prescriptions, renew old prescriptions, and update your vaccinations.
- Optical – If you wear glasses or contacts, getting your supplies at Sam’s Club is a great option. They can perform eye exams, prescribe new lenses, and offer different frames.
- Hearing Aid Center – If you wear a hearing aid or think you may need to start, Sam’s Club can offer you a hearing screening as well as many different types of hearing aids.
- Health Screenings – About every month or two, Sam’s Club will schedule a free health screening for its members. You will basically be given a physical and told if there are any concerns you may want to get checked out.
- Photo – You can do everything from printing pictures to making collages at their photo center.
- Financial Services – This is offered to business members only and offers credit cards and small business loans among other services.
- Auto – Sam’s Club can perform basic maintenance, such as an oil change or tune up, in addition to being able to furnish your car with new tires when needed.
Tips to know:
- If you are an individual who is just interested in purchasing a membership for your home, the $45 a month basic membership will be a perfect option. It will allow you everything you need to do, and if you sign up for the Sam’s Club Discovery Card, you can earn cash back with every purchase.
- A Sam’s Club membership will not just save you money on groceries, but it will save you money other places around the home. You can purchase anything from a television set to a microwave all at a fraction of the price. Also, some Sam Club stores even offer tire repair services and oil change services for all their members.
- Every time you go to shop here, try to take advantage of the food samples that they have to offer around the store. Sam’s Club demos items that they have in their store for members to try new items or remind them of items that particular store always has available.
- In late 2013, Sam’s Club raised their rates for the first time since 2006.
- Purchase a Sam’s Club membership and then not using it on a regular basis will result in a waste of money.
How can I save money?
- Oftentimes, Sam’s Club will have special offers that include free gifts if you sign up for a membership. For example, in the past on Groupon.com, they offered a free chicken, batteries and a few other items when you bought a basic membership. With that being said, keep your eyes peeled for future promotions.
- You will already be saving money just because you are buying a Sam’s Club membership. These warehouse stores have hundreds of great deals to take advantage of everyday. Also, because you will be purchasing items in bulk, you will not have to buy them quite as often.
- If you have never shopped here before, they do offer a one-day pass to let you try the store out before you commit.
- LifeHacker.com has a few tips on how you can shop at Sam’s Club for next to nothing.
- College students, current military, and veterans can receive discounts.
- Look into their credit card to save up to 2 percent on purchases.