How Much Does Sandblasting Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Sandblasting is a term used to describe the process of propelling fine bits of material at a high velocity to make a surface clean. Sandblasters uses three different parts to work effectively; these include the abrasive, air compressor, and the nozzle. This process is generally done for those that want to get rid of stubborn stains or for those that want to clean metal on a car or truck frame. Sandblasting can be done by a shop or it can be done yourself by renting or purchasing a machine. The price of sandblasting differs depending on the size of the surface that will be blasted.
How much is it?
- On average, shops are going to charge by the hour. These rates can vary anywhere from $40 to $75 per hour, depending on the shop’s credibility, location, and more.
- For those that want to do it themselves, a machine can be rented for as little as $20 to $45 per day. Also, special sandblasting attachments are made for those that own high pressured washers.
- For example, the company EliteSandBlasting.com offers sandblasting services for anywhere from $40 to $60 per hour, and the 50 pound bags of sand can cost up to $37 each, depending on the type. See: “How much does sand cost?“
- Specialized services can cost up to $75 per hour. For example, WestCoastPipe.com has a blast system that is capable of sand blasting 8” to 72”; this can cover bigger areas for a faster service.
- According to the website ContractorTalk.com, various contractors asked about what it would cost in order to sandblast the frame of a car. Most contractors on this site stated that it would cost anywhere from $500 and go up from there depending on the size of the car and the amount of work that had to be done.
What is going to be included?
- During the procedure, smaller sand particles will be sent at high speeds using a air pump. This process is going to strip away the area, making it clean. This procedure is commonly done on truck frames, airplane bodies and even other various equipments.
- Included with the service is the preparation of the surface as well as the clean up after the work has been completed.
- Most reputable shops will give you a fairly accurate estimate of the price for the job. They will be able to diagnose the process and let you know how many man hours it is going to take as well as what materials are going to be needed.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional cost will be applicable if you hire a company for the services. Doing the job yourself is the cheapest way to go.
- Materials such as sand are going to be necessary in order to perform the job properly. Keep in mind that sand isn’t necessarily needed anymore.
- You may want to purchase protective eye gear to wear while sandblasting.
How can I save money?
- Use services such as Service Magic if you are looking for a shop in your area. This is the best way to get the lowest quote in your area.