How Much Does Satellite Internet Cost?
Satellite internet is an internet access provided through the use of satellites. When the internet was first introduced, it could only send and receive data through telephone lines. With the advancement in technology, the internet can now be accessed through wireless signals, cable lines, as well as fiber optics. The satellite internet works wirelessly with the aid of customer premise equipment which receives the signal from the satellite that goes through the computer. The price of the satellite internet service depends on the bandwidth, or speed, of the internet connection to which you will subscribe as well as the company that provides the service.
How much is it?
- A satellite internet service is not as popular as DSL and cable connections, but they are hot behind the trail of those mentioned. They offer different internet speeds that compete with other type of internet service. On average, satellite internet is going to range anywhere from $40 to $95 per month depending on the speeds.
- Speeds on the lower end around 512 Kbps are going to be around the $40 to $55 per month range, while a higher speed such as 1.5 to 2 Kbps can be upwards of $70 to $90 per month.
- For example, HughesNet.com offers three levels of internet packages. Their monthly fee ranges from $40 to $90 for internet service with speeds from 1 to 2 Mbps.
- Another company that offers satellite internet connection is Wildblue. The company’s website shows that they also have three tiers of subscription plans. The internet speeds that they offer range from 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps at a prices range of $50 to $80. It should be noted that Dish Network’s internet service is being provided by Wildblue.
- One of the largest satellite TV providers is DirectTV and they offer satellite internet with their service as well. DirectTV also offers 512 Kbps to 2 Mbps satellite internet service with price ranging from $40 to $70.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involve extra cables needed for installation. If you are a new customer, many companies will provide free installation. However, they have certain specifications and if the installation goes beyond that, additional charges will apply. It will depend on the installation set up itself.
- Some companies may require that you rent their modem on a monthly basis. This modem can cost anywhere from $5 to $15 per month.
- Additional fees and taxes will apply depending on your state.
What is going to be included?
- The company will provide free installation of the equipment needed to receive the signal from the satellite to the computer. The installer will set up and get your computer running usually within a few hours.
How can I save money?
- The companies that provide satellite internet may also provide bundled packages for their programming of which you can take advantage. The same goes for the offers that they have for new customers as they attract them with low prices to sign them up. Since satellite services can be used anywhere, it is best to compare prices with the companies mentioned above.