How Much Does a Satellite Phone Cost?
A satellite phone is a type of mobile phone that connects to satellites orbiting in space rather than cell sites that are located on the ground. Satellite phones perform the basic functions of a regular mobile phone such as voice calls, short messaging services, and internet access. The satellite phone is very useful especially if you are in an obscure place where your phone will not be able to connect to cell sites; if itis too far or there are none in sight, the phone will connect to an orbiting satellite. You should keep in mind, however, that the service of satellite phones can cover the whole Earth or within a specific location only depending on your plan. The price of the satellite phones mostly depends on the brand of the phone as well as the features it has.
How much is it?
- There are different satellite phones available on the market today. Before, satellite phones were usually big and bulky, but with the help of current technology, there are satellite phones that are just as big as regular mobile phones. On average, a satellite phone is going to cost anywhere from $550 to as much as $1,700.
- Refurbished satellite phones have prices ranging anywhere from $549 to $995.
- For example, SatellitePhone.com not only sells satellite phones, but they also have them available for rent to those that need need one for a temporary time period such as a vacation. The prices on their store range from $795 to $1,450.
What are the extra costs?
- Like mobile phones, you will need to subscribe to a plan with a service provider to be able to use your satellite phone in order to receive and make calls. Plans start around $24 per month and other options such as Internet usage and more will be additional.
- For example, GlobalComSatPhone.com has plans that range from $29 to $550 per month. A $29 per month package charges per minute, while their “Freedom 150″ gives you 150 minutes for $65 per month.
- For those that want to rent the phone instead of purchasing one, a daily minimum rate can range from $14 to $30 per day. Additional minutes are going to be additional to the minimum rate.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy a satellite phone, it will include basic items used to help in understanding how the phone operates. Items such as an instruction manual, a charging cradle, and other cables to connect it to a computer will be included, as well as support CD and warranty documentation.
How can I save money?
- Try to identify and decide whether or not you really need a satellite phone. With rates being higher than a regular cellular phone, there may not be a reason to buy a satellite phone at all if you are not using it aside from making local and long distance calls and you will be within the city limits, .
- If just taking temporary trips outside of a normal cell tower range, it may be ideal to consider renting one rather than purcahsing one.