How Much Do School Uniforms Cost?
There are some private and Christian schools that choose to have students dress in uniforms rather than having a dress code. This is sometimes easier than trying to make sure each student is in dress code each day. Some people have false conceptions about uniforms, however; wearing a uniform does not mean that you wear the same outfit every day. Usually uniforms have a few choices of bottoms, such as dress pants, skirts, shorts, capris, etc., and a few choices of tops such as dress shirts, polos, sweaters, etc. These tops and bottoms can be worn in any combination at most uniform schools.
How much do school uniforms cost?
- School uniform pants can cost anywhere from $8-$25 depending on the size and brand. For example, a pair of flat front plain girls pants from Land’s End will cost $20. Uniform shorts, skirts, or capris, as well as shorts and pants for boys, will be in about the same price range, possibly a few dollars more.
- The cost of school uniform shirts can be between $7 and $20. A plain color short sleeved polo, girls or boys cut, from French Toast costs $13 while a long sleeved polo costs $14.
- School uniform shoes usually do not need to be purchased through a uniform store. The only requirement is usually that they be plain color dress shoes. JC Penney has many options ranging in price from $30 to $70.
- Accessories to school uniforms, such as socks, tights, bows, etc., also do not need to be purchased through a uniform store. These accessories will cost $2-$10.
- At an average cost of $15 per item, purchasing ten tops and ten bottoms will cost about $300. This is probably cheaper than buying a new school wardrobe of your child’s choice clothes from regular retail stores.
- On average, plan on spending $100 to $200 per uniform for your child.
|Jumper with short-sleeved blouse||$25 to $50|
|Sweater with the jumper||$25 to $50|
|Solid skirt||$15 to $35|
|Long-Sleeved Blouse||$15 to $35|
|Short-Sleeved Polo||$15 to $30|
|Double-Knee Pants||$33 to $50|
|Vest or Sweater||$35 to $50|
|Short-Sleeved Polo||$19 to $30|
|Long-Sleeved Dress Shirt||$23 to $33|
What are the extra school uniform costs?
- If you order your uniforms online, you will most likely have to pay a shipping and handling fee.
- Some schools require their name or symbol to be embroidered or printed on each shirt. There is usually an extra charge for this, although a few companies will include this in the price. Check with your school’s policy on this issue.
- In case the clothes do not fit perfectly, any alterations done to the pants or shirts will be an extra charge.
- If your child is in need of plus size clothes, these sizes usually cost a few dollars extra per item.
Tips to know:
- Check with your local school to see if they have any ties to a particular clothing retailer. Local shops both online and offline can help in terms of getting discounts, and bulk packages.
- Many schools have their own official uniform store. Keep in mind that some schools will require that all clothing is purchased through this store, so you may have no choice if you’re looking to save money elsewhere.
- Don’t purchase something that fits snug as your child is in their growing stages. Try to purchase clothing that isn’t too big, but rather clothing that is loose enough so that they can grow into it.
- Try to purchase your uniforms early in the season. Retailers will mark their clothes up when it’s in demand. Avoid this by purchasing mid-summer, rather than two days before school starts.
- Ask your child what they are going to wear. If they won’t wear the sweaters, it may be silly to invest into these articles of clothing. It’s wise to know what your child will get the most use out of.
How can I save money?
- If shopping online, try to purchase most if not all of your needs in one order. This way you will only have to pay shipping one time. Most school uniform items can be found through Amazon for a discounted price.
- Most stores offer discounts and coupons for frequent customers, and some local stores will even make a deal with your school if they suggest them as a retailer.
- Find out if the school has an exchange program. This exchange program is going to allow your child to swap with friends and fellow classmates.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|