How Much Does Scoping a Knee Cost?
Scoping a knee is a minimally invasive surgical procedure performed for treatment of damage of the interior of a joint. The procedure is performed by inserting an endoscope into the joint through a small incision. This type of surgery has several benefits over open surgery since the knee does not need to be fully opened, it reduces recovery time, and the rate of success increases due to fewer traumas in the connective tissue. The price of knee scoping mainly depends on the location where the procedure will be performed.
How much is it?
- On average, the price for the surgery itself can cost anywhere from $1,100 to $3,800 without insurance. The price usually includes the fee for the surgeon as well. Be sure to check with the hospital to get a good idea on what you are going to pay ahead of time.
- According to www.MedicalDiscounts.com, the price for knee scoping can cost anywhere between $1,300 and $1,500. This is considered a discount since the price is not deducted by insurance and this is the full amount.
- Providence.org offers different types of knee surgery for different knee issues. They list the price for scoping a knee anywhere between $3,000 and $3,538. Insurance can still reduce the price of the surgery.
- For those that have some sort of health insurance, a procedure such as this will be covered most of the time. Be sure to check with your insurance provider to get more information on what’s going to be covered as well as what you’ll be responsible for in terms of a deductible and co-pay.
What is going to be included?
- Using a small, thin arthroscope, the surgeon is going to be able to look inside of your knee. During this procedure, he will be able to repair any damage or tears that they can spot. Since this is an out patient procedure, you should be able to go home that day.
- Upon completion of the scope, the surgeon will provide stitches as well as a bandage over the knee. After a few days, this bandage can be removed.
What are the extra costs?
- There are several medicinal applications that you need to have in case you get the surgery. Anesthesia will greatly reduce the pain of the surgery and will make the procedure more tolerable. The price for anesthesia can start at $460.
- Some hospitals would charge for the ambulatory surgery center which does not include overnight stay in the hospital. Each overnight stay can start at $500 and go up from there for those that don’t have any type of insurance.
How can I save money?
- Your health insurance will greatly help in saving money; the out of pocket cost for the patient will greatly reduce once the insurance assistance kicks in. If you do not have a health insurance plan, consider options such as eHealthInsurance.com.
- Be sure to check with your doctor as you may find that this procedure may not be necessary. It is always best to look into other alternative options.
- If you do not have insurance, try your best to pay cash. Most facilities will give great discounts to cash patients.