How Much Does a Scoreboard Cost?
A scoreboard is a large board that shows the scores of sporting events to the public. The scoreboard can also provide several services such as showing different statistics and the time left before the game is over. Modern scoreboards use electromechanical displays which are composed of large dot matrix displays made with incandescent bulbs and light emitting diodes. The price of a scoreboard depends on the type as well as its features. Scoreboards are made to be used in many different sporting events, and the features of each can be different depending on the sports for which it can be used. This is one of the main factors affecting the price of a scoreboard. Also, electric scoreboards are definitely more expensive than manual scoreboards.
How much is it?
- On average, portable scoreboards can cost anywhere from $200 to as much as $9,000. Most purchases are going to be within the $200 to $2,000 price range for a higher quality, portable scoreboard.
- For example,the SSG/BSN Tabletop Scoreboard retails for $420 to $559.
- A simple scoreboard that is manual can be as little as $20. This type of scoreboard only features the time and scores.
- Scoreboards that are often seen at basketball or football games in a setting such as a high school can cost upwards of $9,000 depending on what features and colors an individual wants. For example, the MacGregor MCSB186M retails for $8,000 to $10,000.
- According to the site ScoreBoards.net, the price for the scoreboards can range anywhere from $407 to $1,412. They sell scoreboards for basketball, football, hockey, and other sports. Some of their scoreboards can be used for all of tese sports in one.
- A type of basic scoreboard that has various features which can accommodate several types of sporting events such as basketball, soccer, baseball and others can cost anywhere from $2,032 to $4,812.
What are the extra costs?
- There are types of sporting events that need to display additional information such as the shot clock in a basketball game. This piece of the scoreboard is usually an additional cost.
- Professional sized scoreboards will require special attention when it comes down to the installation process. Electrical work and special mounts will be needed in order to ensure that the scoreboard is hung properly. If using a professional, this will be an additional cost.
- Customization or specialized decals will have to be ordered separately.
What is going to be included?
- With the scoreboard, you will also be given cables to plug it in a power source as well as a panel that can control what is shown on the scoreboard.
- Most scoreboards will come equipped with a home team score, as well as the away (visitor) team score. Periods/quarters, fouls, as well as a time will be displayed as well.
- Electronic scoreboards will come equipped with a portable remote in order to control the scoreboard.
How can I save money?
- Check with different suppliers to identify the price difference and make sure that you buy the one that is appropriate for the sport for which it will be used. If you are looking to purchase a larger scoreboard for a school, etc., highly consider finding used ones on sites such as eBay.
- There are sites that offer scoreboards at no cost. These sites offer these only for organizations with a cause and are given as a donation. You may want to check out what they offer.