How Much Does a Scottish Terrier Cost?
A Scottish Terrier, also known as a Scottie, is one of the five breeds of Terriers that originated from Scotland. Others include terriers such as the Dandie Dinmont and Cairn. On average, a Scottish Terrier can stand up to 10 inches tall and weigh up to 22 pounds. Males usually outweigh the females by 1 or 2 pounds. Common colors that are found include black and wheaton. The cost of a Scottish Terrier will depend on the breeder, quality, location, age, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a Scottie can cost anywhere from $400 to as much as $1,200. It is not uncommon to find AKC quality based terriers selling for $1,400 or more.
- Sites such as PuppyFind.com have breeders listing their Terriers for anywhere from $450 to as much as $1,100.
- Older dogs that are over the age of 2 can cost anywhere from $200 to $500. For example, a non-profit organization in Dallas, Texas by the name of Scottie Kingdom Rescue, Inc has many older Scotties up for adoption.
- According to an article on the website ScottishTerrierNews.com, the user had stated that she paid upwards of $1,400 for her Terrier. She also noted that some breeders will be more than happy to offer a discount during the slower periods of the month.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are going to purchase the dog outside of a driving distance, shipping will be an additional cost. Many breeders tend to choose major airlines for their shipping needs. Shipping a dog can cost anywhere from $150 to $350.
- While some breeders include pet insurance with your adoption fee, some consider this an additional purchase.
- Once you receive the dog, it is ideal to take it to the vet to ensure that it has a clean bill of health. If the dog has problems and the breeder included a health guarantee, there should be no problem getting your money back.
What is going to be included?
- Reputable breeders will include up to date vaccinations as well as any medical paperwork that includes an initial health examination, etc.
- A health guarantee comes included with a lot of puppies today. Be sure to know about the terms and conditions before adopting a dog because there are some restrictions.
- For those that are going to be shipped, a crate will be included.
- Adoption agencies generally will send out a starter package that includes food, toys and other material.
Tips to know:
- These breeds have shorter legs and their head is longer in proportion with the rest of their body.
- These breeds are brave and alert and are very lovable filled with a lot of character. Known as a good watch dog, they can often be hard to train because of their stubbornness.
- These dogs love to exercise, meaning that it’s best to take them on a lot of walks, play fetch with them as well as take them to other dog parks to interact with other dogs.
How can I save money?
- If you do not want the hassle of training a puppy, consider checking with an adoption agency to see if there are any older dogs available.
- Try your best to purchase a dog within driving distance. Shipping fees can easily surpass the $250 mark on top of the dog’s price.