How Much Does a Screened in Porch Cost?
A screened in porch is a house expansion that provides additional space to your house which is covered by a screen to keep unwanted dirt and insects out of the house. A screened in porch can be installed by professional contractors or can be done by an individual with the right set of skills. There are screened in porches that are also custom made and ready for delivery and can be easily installed onto a house once the client provides specification or the contractor obtains the appropriate information before installation. The cost of a screened in porch is going to greatly depend on the size, the contractor performing the job, as well as various other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a complete screened in porch that has to be built from scratch can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $25,000 depending on the size. This price range includes the cost for all of the materials needed as well as the construction for the project.
- Experts will state that most jobs will be within the $34 to $75 per square foot range. The more complex the job gets, the higher the square footage average will go up. Do not be surprised if you get quotes that are higher than $100 per square foot.
- For example, a homeowner in Virginia stated that they had paid $4,400 for a 12×20 screened in porch, while another homeowner paid $7,000 for a 10×14 screened in porch.
- For those that want to do the job on their own, materials can be purchased anywhere from $500 to $1,200 for a porch that is already put together that requires the screen or $2,000 or more for a new porch.
- Gardenweb.com provides plenty of information for ideas regarding gardening and porches. The price for the screened in porch according to this site can range anywhere from $8,254 to $11,210.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs depend on the type of arrangements that you make with the contractor. Some contractors will provide labor only, while other can provide just the materials. There are contractors that opt to do the installation and provide the materials as well.
- Customizations such as added flower boxes or paint/stain can be additional to the original quote.
- Electric hookups for ceiling fans or lights will cost extra.
What is going to be included?
- Before the construction begins, a contractor will be able to meet with you to discuss what they can do in terms of building a porch. He/she will be able to measure out an area, as well as give you a good idea on how high the porch will sit as well as what it will look like. Most contractors will be able to give out a free quote before any of the work starts.
How can I save money?
- There are do it yourself guides to build your own screened in porch and you may want to look into this to see if you are able to do the construction yourself. This will greatly reduce the cost since labor cost can take up a lot of the total expense when having your screened in porch constructed.
- If hiring a professional, consider using services online such as Service Magic. This is a great way to match up quotes with professionals in your area.