How Much Do Scuba Diving Lessons Cost?
Scuba diving is the process of diving under water with the assistance of a scuba set in order to be able to breathe. With a breathing tank, divers can swim underwater for longer periods of time. Scuba diving can also be done with snorkels, where you will swim at the surface of the water breathing through a smaller tube. Scuba diving by yourself is going to require a certification course to ensure that you know the safety of the process. The cost of lessons is going to depend on the location, instructor, the equipment, and more.
How much is it?
- An accredited course taught by a certified professor is going to cost anywhere from $325 to $600 for the complete course. PADI lessons are taught in 3 different parts that include academic, pool training, and diving. Four certified dives are required before you can receive your certification.
- For example, the Open Water Diver course in Nashville, TN has courses for $275 to $350. For this course, you will need to download all your reading material online. Once you pass the tests online, you will meet for an 8 hour class.
- According to the website Scuba-Diving-Smiles.com, the average cost to receive a certification can range anywhere from $150 to as much as $250.
What are the extra costs?
- Courses will require that you bring in your own equipment; if you choose to rent them, these fees will be extra. Scuba diving equipment can be rented for $40 to $75 a day, while purchasing the equipment itself can cost upwards of $1,500. The equipment needed includes a regulator, tanks, masks, wetsuit, and fins.
- Study guides and books may be outside of the certification course. Be sure to grab a syllabus to see what is going to be included in terms of study sheets, tests, textbooks, and more.
- Private courses can cost more if you want a one on one attention.
- In the future, you may want to take a refresher course. Some places offer these for $25 to $75 per session.
What is going to be included?
- Scuba diving courses are going to be taught be a certified professional. During these courses, practice dives will be performed in a pool to teach your the fundamentals of diving. After the certification course, some instructors opt to take the class out to a real world situation.
- Upon complete, a PADI certification will be given out to those that pass. See: “How much does a PADI certification cost?“
How can I save money?
- Try your best to take lessons in a group setting. Personal lessons are going to cost a lot more than learning in a group.
- Check around in your area to see what kind of courses are available. Warmer climate states such as Florida are going to have a lot more in terms of a selection than a colder state.
- Consider reading up on some material before the lessons start. This will give you a jump start on the other students in the classroom. In fact, there are even courses designed online to help those learn without having to take lessons in person.