How Much Does a SD Memory Card Cost?
An SD card, or secure digital memory card, is a type of storage device used in portable devices. SD memory cards are primarily used for digital cameras and mobile phones. SD memory cards come in different sizes and have different storage capacities such as 1GB, 2GB, etc. The price of the SD memory card depends on the size of the card and where you purchase one from.
How much is it?
- There are three standard sizes of memory cards that include a standard mini SD and Micro SD. On average, these memory cards are going to cost anywhere from $5 to $99.
- A 1GB SD memory card is going to cost $12 to $55. A 4GB memory card is going to cost anywhere from $16 to $60. A 8GB memory card can cost upwards of $16 to $99. Cards that have a capacity as high as 32GB can sell for $49 to $125.
- A micro SD card can cost anywhere from $3 to as much as $50. Common capacities that come with these types include 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 32GB.
- A popular model such as the SanDisk 2GB Class Flash Memory Card retails for $6 to $22. A higher capacity card such as the SandDisk 8GB Class retails for $11 to $43.
- Newer SD cards that come equipped with a built in USB connection can cost $39 to $99 depending on the brand.
- Larger electronic stores such as Best Buy sell their SD memory cards anywhere between $8 and $64. These SD cards have a varying storage capacity.
What is going to be included?
- Micro SD cards are sold together with adapters. These adapters allow smaller SD cards to be inserted to regular size SD card slots, making the SD cards much more flexible since different devices have different SD card slots.
- Newer SD cards can insert into any computer USB port, allowing you to read all the files on the card with ease.
What are the extra costs?
- A SD memory card reader is an external tool that can hook up to any USB port. The card can simply be placed within the device allowing the card to be read on any computer. These readers can cost anywhere from $9 to $20.
- For those that have more than 1 SD card, cases or a holder may be necessary to not only protect the cards but to organize them as well.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Purchase SD cards with a storage capacity that will satisfy your demands. Generally, the more you need in terms of capacity, the more you are going to have to pay. For a camera, 4GB to 8GB is more than enough for picture taking.
- Consider going with no name brands. Don’t just purchase the memory card based on the name brand alone. Those memory cards without a name brand will usually work just as well.
- Look at the reviews available online to see what other people are saying. Be sure to invest into a memory card that is reliable and is available at a low cost.