How Much Does a Semi Truck Cost?
Semi trucks are large trucks that are used to ship and distribute different kinds of goods. Semi trucks offer an even weight distribution and are capable of pulling much larger loads than regular vehicles. Semi trucks can be owned and operated by the driver or by a company that hires the drivers. The price of semi trucks depends on the type, size, features, condition and dealer selling it.
How much is it?
- Semi trucks are sold by different dealers across the United States. The price depends on the dealer and whether or not the truck being sold is brand new or not. There are different types of semi trucks sold as there are different manufacturers that produce this type of vehicle. The cost of semi trucks can range anywhere from $15,000 to more than $100,000.
- Used semi trucks can definitely have a lower cost than brand new ones. Used semi trucks that are pre-owned can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $75,000. Obviously, the newer models can cost more than the ones that are older. Like a car, the cost of a semi truck will depend on the mileage, the year, make, model as well as other various factors.
- For example, the company Trucker to Trucker offers different types of semi trucks that have different features such as air brakes and center floor supports. The company sells the semi trucks as well as trailers for anywhere from $15,000 to $35,000. The prices for the smaller semi trucks are considerably lower than the bigger ones that they sell.
- Another company called American Truck Buyer lists the price for semi trucks sold by different dealers across the USA. They sell semi trucks for $10,500 to $39,000, prices which mainly depend on the model of the truck.
What is going to be included?
- There are different companies that offer different packages for the semi trucks that they sell. Some of the companies can offer the trailer at no extra charge, which can allow the client to save money.
- All of the documents needed to prove ownership as well as registration will be included with your purchase of the semi truck.
What are the extra costs?
- To effectively ship goods, a semi truck needs to have a semi trailer attached to it. The price of the semi trailer can be different depending on the type, as each trailer has specific uses that require additional features to be included with it.
- If purchasing new, additional customizations comparable to a new car purchase can add onto the overall cost. For example, leather seats, built-in appliances in the cab, etc., can all add to overall price tag.
- Like a car, additional expenses such as insurance will be required. Registration fees will also apply. The price for registration will vary depending on your local state law.
- For drivers who personally own a semi truck and make it a full time occupation, features such as a bed and appliances can be included with your purchase.
Tips to know:
- Bring a mechanic with you to check the vehicle thoroughly before you buy it. This will prevent you from buying a defective vehicle especially if you choose to buy a used semi truck.
- Buy the semi truck that is offered at a reasonable price. The cheapest vehicle may not be the best bet since there may be a reason why it is offered at a low price.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices from different dealers that sell semi trucks. Singling out the dealer that can offer the semi truck at the lowest price would be the biggest way to save money. Use the internet to your advantage to find the best prices in your local area.
- If you are a semi truck driver, try to find a job driving a truck that is owned by a company. This will be cheaper than buying, insuring, and registering your own vehicle. It will also be easier since you will have more job security.