How Much Does a Septic System Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
The septic system is composed of a small scale sewage system which is common in areas that have no connection to the main sewage pipes that are provided by the local government or private corporations. The septic system is one of the main things that you should look into if you are purchasing a new house. This is something that should be checked when your new home is inspectied. The cost to install septic system depends on the size of the septic tank as well as how big the area where the septic system will be installed.
How much does a septic system cost?
- Overall, the cost of septic system can range from $2,000 to $20,000. There are different types of septic system available for installation. Depending on the type and size of septic system that you have installed in your house, the price can be different. The cost to install a septic system can vary by thousands of dollars based on these different factors.
- The geographical location can play a rather big role. For instance, a septic tank that has to be installed in Iowa can cost $3,000 to $6,000 for a standard install. If that same septic tank has to be installed in California, the prices can be as much as double that.
- Higher-end septic tanks that include peat filters and aerobic systems can cost as much as $5,000 to $15,000.
- The cost of the septic tank alone without any sort of professional installation can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000. A septic tank must be installed by a certified professional.
- The Texas Agricultural Extension Service offers installation for conventional septic tank systems and they show the price through the site. The price differs depending on the location. For example, in the midwestern part of the United States, the price for installation can be anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 while other areas can cost anywhere from $4,000 to $15,000.
- The state of Rhode Island provides its citizens information regarding septic system installation. Through their site, they are able to provide additional information for the citizens of Rhode Island. According to the site, the cost to have a septic system in a house can reach anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000.
What is going to be included?
- Septic systems are created for homes that do not have access to a local treatment plan. These tanks are most commonly be found in rural areas.
- The installation of septic system will also include the different parts of the septic system which include the pumps and pipes. The inclusion will depend on the package that you will get from the contractor.
What are the extra costs?
- Before any construction of a structure begins, you will need to get a building permit from the local government. This is a common practice in almost every county. Depending on the location and the complexity of the system, the price of the building permit can start at $250.
- With drainfields, gravel will have to be brought in. This can cost anywhere from $7 to $14 per ton depending on your location.
- When you have a septic system installed, it will be likely that the landscape can get damaged and the cost to replace plants and other components of the landscape are considered additional costs.
- Cleanings are recommended every 3 years. A cleaning can start at $100 and go up from there depending on the size. See: “How much does a septic tank pumping cost?“
- Don’t forget about the necessary maintenance expenses down the road. This can include new filters or replacement pumps
Tips to know:
- Preventive maintenance will be the best way prevent any wear and tear from happening any time soon. Always make sure that the tank is cleaned out every few years.
- It would be a good idea to have your septic system checked by the a contractor that specializes in this field.
- Any good septic system today should last at least 20 to 40 years if taken care of properly. A great way to tell if a septic tank can last is by looking at the warranty that they provide. It also doesn’t hurt to research the brands on the market either.
How can I save money?
- There are different ways to save money when you have a septic system installed. One way to save money is to share the cost of having a drain field or soil absorption system installed. Since each house that has a septic system feeds into just one drain field or absorption system so the cost can be split among several houses.
- When having a septic tank installed, be sure to talk with at least three contractors. Use websites such as Service Magic to find the best contractor quote in your area.
- Talk with your local sanitation department to see if they have a list of qualified experts that can help you install a septic tank.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|