How Much Does Septic Tank Emptying Cost?
A septic tank is a concealed, usually underground, container that collects all the human waste produced in you household. Most homes rely on city sewer lines to rid their property of human waste. However, these homeowners will have to pay a fee to the city for maintenance and other things. (These fees are usually tied in with the city taxes.) Because the cost to the city can be high, there are households that choose to have their own septic tank. There are also instances where homes may not have access to the city sewer lines. In this case, homeowners have no choice but to install a septic tank. Depending on the number of people who are living in the household, this septic tank should only need to be emptied every few years. There are companies that provide this type of service and they will perform a procedure to guarantee that the tank will be empty upon completion.
How much is it?
- There are many different services offered by companies that provide septic tank cleaning. In addition to cleaning, most companies also perform repair if it is necessary. If the septic tank is clogged, you will need to make sure that you find service providers that provide high pressure jetting. The price of septic tank cleaning will also vary depending on the size of the septic tank as well as the rate the company charges for the service. Your distance away from the company can also affect the price. On average, expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $700 for the service.
- There are several companies that offer septic tank emptying services. They would usually bring pumps and trucks where the waste will be stored. For instance, one of the companies that provide septic tank emptying services is MVIncSeptic.com. This company provides different services which ranges from septic tank pumping and repair in case the tank becomes damaged. According to their site, a visit to your house to empty the tank can cost anywhere from $350 to $650 depending on the size of the septic tank.
- You can also check with other companies to identify the cost as well as the type of services provided when emptying a septic tank. Another company that can provide you with septic tank emptying services would be Clear FlowLTD.com. This site also offers different septic tank maintenance related services and they provide the service anywhere from $450 to $750.
What is going to be included?
- Septic tank maintenance companies will bring their own equipment to empty the tank. They usually come with a truck that has a container at the back as well as hoses and pipes to penetrate the tank.
- During the procedure, the contractor will inspect the field to see if any damage is visible by the naked eye. Once inspected, he will dig up and expose the man hole cover to the tank. After the hole has been opened, the contractor will look for any items within the septic tank that cannot be broken down such as wet wipes, etc. Once the items have been removed, the tank will be pumped cleaned.
What are the extra costs?
- There may be unexpected issues when emptying your septic tank. When this happens, the service provider will provide you with information regarding the problem and you will have decide if you would like to pursue their added services that will either fix or repair the tank in case it gets broken.
- If potential problems are noted, a jet clean may be required to clean the lines in the drainfield. This can cost an additional $100 to $300 depending on the length and size.
- If the filter has gone bad, a new one may be required.
- If the tank is more than two feet deep, additional tools may be required to raise the lid for easy access.
- A fuel surcharge may apply as well.
Tips to know:
- Septic tank emptying should be done only if your septic tank is full. You will need to consider this and have them check the tank first if you are deciding to have it emptied. As a general rule of thumb, experts recommend that it is emptied at least every two to three years.
- If you are a first time homeowner, it may be a good idea to have your septic tank inspected. The inspector can tell you the size of your tank and how often you should have it emptied.
How can I save money?
- To be able to save money when you decide to empty a septic tank, you should try asking different companies that provide this type of service and get the one that will offer the service at an affordable price. Consider using services such as ServiceMagic.com to find the best contractor quotes in your area.
- Also, you will encounter companies that can offer the service at a discounted rate especially if you take a packaged service that will include most of the basics in emptying and maintaining the septic tank.
- Try to use the same company each time you get this service done. Companies may offer a discount to repeat customers.