How Much Does Septic Tank Pumping Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Since a septic tank can get damaged through years of use, it is important to keep your septic system maintained. One way to keep septic tanks clean is by having it pumped by a professional contractor in order to remove all of the waste kept in the tank. This procedure allows the homeowners to have the peace of mind that their septic tank will not back up and cause more problems. Each contractor is going to charge differently depending on their normal rate, the location, and the size of the tank.
How much does septic tank pumping cost?
- As for contracting companies, there are some that would charge by the hour while others may charge per job completion. On average, the price for septic tank pumping can range anywhere from $75 to $500 depending on the size of the tank and the job that it entails.
- Larger septic tanks can cost anywhere from $200 to $500. These tanks will generally hold more than 1,500 gallons.
- For example, the company The Laundry Alternative Inc. is a company that provides septic tank pumping services and they charge from $75 to $250. They can charge up to $300 depending on the location. The company mentions that you may have to have your septic tank dumped every 2 or 3 years.
- Another factor why the price of septic tank pumping can vary is the positioning of the septic tank. There are septic tanks that have to be dug out while there are some that are already positioned outside.
Factors that influence the price:
- The amount of sludge or scum that has to be removed from the tank.
- How easy it is to get to the access lid.
- The local disposal fees.
- Additional labor if cleaning and/or repairs are required.
What is going to be included?
- Before the procedure begins, the contractor will look over the drainfield to see if there are any signs of heavy foot traffic.
- The contractor will perform all of the procedures needed to be done to pump septic tanks. The contractor will also use all of the necessary tools and equipment to make sure that the work is done correctly. During the procedure, the contractor will lift the manhole cover and look at the contents of the tank. Once the manhole cover has been removed, a tank will be used to pump out all the excess waste.
- After the procedure has been done, they will clean the affected areas or the area from which they pumped the waste. They will also tell you everything that they have seen during the process. They may recommend an effluent filter or if there are potential problems, they may want to clean the drain field. The procedure shouldn’t take no longer than four to six hours to complete.
Amount of People
When Pumping Should be Done
1 to 2
3 to 5 years
3 to 5
2 to 3 years
1 to 2 years
What are the extra costs?
- If there are problems, fixing septic tank problems can range from $300 to $450.
- For an additional charge, most contractors can pressure wash and bleach to tank to ensure that it is cleaned thoroughly. The prices will widely vary depending on the size of the tank.
- If any repairs are required, they can vary anywhere from $100 to as much as $20,000+. This will widely depend on the type of repair that needs to be done.
Tips to know:
- It is recommended that a septic tank is pumped every 3 years. If there are more than 3 to 5 people living in the household, it may need to be done every 2 years.
- Have the contractor estimate how much the total project will cost as well as discuss matters with them to avoid being charged additional costs that you may have not known about.
How can I save money?
- As mentioned earlier, the different contractors can offer the job at different prices. But not all cheap contractors can provide quality services. Find a contractor that has a good rating to make sure that you will be able to get value for your money. Check with websites such as Service Magic to find the cheapest contractor in your area.
- Do not perform the project without the help of a professional since there are tools that need to be used by the contractors that are not readily available.
- If you are going to get your septic tank pumped every 2 to 3 years, try to use the same company. Many contractors will give discounts for returning customers.
- You will find that if you watch what you flush down your system, you can greatly prolong the life of your septic system. While the recommendations on the chart above are recommended, you may be able to wait longer than that if the septic tank doesn’t give you any problems.