How Much Does the Shingles Vaccine Cost?
Shingles is one of the many diseases that can affect our bodies. It is a result of a resolved case of chicken pox that has not been completely eliminated from the body. Certain diseases can be very dangerous to our health, especially if the disease goes untreated. Luckily, our bodies are designed to display symptoms alerting us to problems we may have. The most common symptom of shingles is a painful, blistery skin rash. The shingles vaccine is a great way to prevent this type of disease; this will be administered by a medical professional after a thorough evaluation of the patient.
How much does the shingles vaccine cost?
- The shingles vaccine is mostly offered by most medical institutions and can be priced differently based on the discretion of the administration. There are drugstores where you can purchase the product as well. The venue you choose to receive the vaccination is one of the biggest factors in determining the price, but your location may also play a factor. On average, this vaccine is going to cost anywhere from $200 to as much as $275 per shot.
- One of the biggest drugstores that sell shingles vaccine is Walgreens. They have walk in clinics that can offer the vaccinations right on the spot. They sell the shingles vaccine per shot and the price for this can reach anywhere from $220 to $250 per shot.
- Since this is deemed medically necessary, most health insurance providers will cover this vaccination. Because all health insurance plans are different, be sure to check with your provider to know what you will have to be responsible for.
- ShotNurse.com offers immunization for several types of diseases. This establishment offers several tests and lab works aside from the vaccination. The cost of shingles vaccination provided by them can cost anywhere from $200 to $205.
What is going to be included?
- The shingles vaccine usually includes the fee for a single shot of the vaccine as well as the payment for the doctor that will administer the shot.
- It should be noted that the vaccine is more effective for people aged 60 and above. The vaccine can also prevent any occurrences of the disease after initial manifestation, which can result in a less painful shingles rash should it appear. Keep in mind that this vaccination is not 100% effective. By receiving this vaccination, however, you can prevent it 50% of the time.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs that would apply is the fee for the doctor that will evaluate the patient’s condition before the vaccine is applied.
- A booster shot could be required in the future. This will all depend on the patient’s situation.
Tips to know:
- Doctors recommend that the shingles vaccine should only be administered to those over the age of 60. The drug, however, is approved for those that are 50 to 59 years old.
- Common side effects associated with the vaccine can include redness, swelling and itching. Headaches are common, too.
- Medicare often covers this vaccination. Those on medicare should talk with their doctor to receive more information.
- The drug isn’t recommended for those who have a weakened immune system, have active tuberculosis or are trying to become pregnant.
- Remember, you can’t get shingles unless you had the chicken pox already. More than 90 percent of Americans today have had the chicken pox.
How can I save money?
- Patients that are covered by insurance can expect reduced cost for the vaccine. Ask your insurance provider regarding this matter to ensure that you get the maximum coverage that they can provide. If you don’t have a health insurance policy, check eHealthInsurance.com for a low cost policy quote in your area.
- Make sure that the doctor that you visit for consultation is the same doctor that will administer the vaccine. The doctor can include the administration of the vaccine with the consultation fees, which can help you save a few hundred dollars.
- For those that meet certain income requirements, many local health departments can provide this vaccination at a deeply discounted price. If possible, talk with your local health department to see what kind of discount for which you may be eligible.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|