How Much Do Shocks and Struts Cost?
Vehicle shocks and struts are two different parts but they work together to ensure a stable ride of the vehicle. If you own a vehicle, one of the things that you probably worry about is maintaining it. If any part of the vehicle gets damaged and unrepaired, the damage can be both expensive and catastrophic. If you feel that the car handles poorly and that you can feel the impact of the road becomes more noticeable, then it may be time that you change the shocks and struts of your vehicle. The struts are responsible for supporting the vehicle which allows it to conform to the roads, while the shocks are mostly responsible for absorbing impact due to the roughness of the road.
How much does strut replacement cost?
- The price of shock and struts will vary depending on a few different factors. First, the manufacturers can offer these parts at several different prices depending on the demand for the part. The more popular brands are often bought more than others since the quality of their products are very high. Secondly, the type of shocks and struts will affect the price since these parts are designed for a specific make and model of car. On average, the shocks and struts replacement can be anywhere from $100 to as much as $300 for the parts alone. This will not include the cost of professional labor.
- For those that want to have the shock and struts job performed at a local repair shop, the cost of this type of repair can range anywhere from $400 to as much as $1,500 to have all the shocks and struts replaced.
- On average, if you only need the fronts or the back repaired, you should plan on spending about $400 to $600 for each location.
- For example, AutoPartsWarehouse.com is an online store which is a haven for car owners since they offer car parts for plenty of make and models. The shocks and struts that they have are for a variety of car models and are priced anywhere from $125 to $210.
- Another store that sells different car parts is Sears. Although they are more popular as a department store, Sears offers a lot of other products from household equipment to car parts. The price of shocks and struts that they sell ranges anywhere from $105 to $130.
What is going to be included?
- Manufacturers should provide warranty for their products since shocks and struts perform heavy duty performance and have a high rate of breaking. If the manufacturer does not offer a warranty, you should be wary of buying the product.
- Other parts such as the screws and bolts necessary to install the shocks and struts to the vehicle are also included with the purchase of theses parts. If installing them yourself, some brands may include a step-by-step installation guide for easy reference.
What are the extra costs?
- After purchasing shocks and struts, you will need to have them installed in the vehicle. It is possible to install them yourself; however, you may want to hire a professional mechanic to ensure that the job is done correctly. The cost of the mechanic depends on how much each shop charges since the competition will cause some to lower their prices.
- If taken into a mechanic, many opt to perform an alignment. A simple tire alignment can cost anywhere from $100 to $150 but can help the shocks and struts to last longer.
Tips to know:
- Shocks and struts are responsible for several purposes in the different functions of your vehicle. Try not to be cheap when purchasing these parts and ask around for the most popular and durable brand. Be sure to purchase a higher quality product since it is more likely to last longer. You will find that they will last a lot longer most of the time.
- Different cars can be modified into high performance racing vehicles. Remember that to maximize the efficiency of the vehicle, specific parts designed for racing may be purchased.
How can I save money?
- To save money, check for stores that offer the product at discounted prices. Some stores would even offer the product at a low price and would also offer it at a discounted price as well. Many stores such as the ones mentioned above often have coupon codes of which you can take advantage.
- Investing with a more expensive yet more durable shocks and struts will often help you save time and money in the long run. The initial investment may cost more, but this will allow you to keep them for a longer period of time.
- If you are going to have a mechanic install the shocks and struts, it will be cheaper to purchase the parts through them instead of separately. Shops will get the parts cheaper than you could and will roll the price of parts and labor into one.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|