How Much Does Shoulder Surgery Cost?
Shoulder surgery may be performed for a variety of reasons and treated in many different ways. There are several scenarios in which our shoulders can be injured; this includes dislocation, shoulder separation, tendinitis, SLAP lesion, and others. Depending on the severity of the injury, treatments may include immobilization, therapy, and even surgery. Shoulder surgery is commonly performed to more complicated injuries such as a rotator cuff tear and shoulder dislocation. The surgical procedures performed depend on the type of injury the patient has suffered.
How much is it?
- Many hospitals and clinics are able to shoulder surgeries and they can offer their services at different rates. There are at least 2 common types of shoulder surgery, which are open surgery and arthroscopic surgery. In the worst cases, a total shoulder replacement may even be necessary. This may be the only treatment available for severe arthritis.
- On average, shoulder surgery can range anywhere from $6,000 to as much as $20,000 without any type of health insurance policy. Since this procedure will be more than likely covered under your health insurance plan, you should only have to pay a small portion of this amount.
- A simple surgery such as a shoulder arthroscopy procedure can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000.
- An open surgery, which is generally done for those that have done extensive damage to the shoulder, can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $18,000.
- According to HealthcareBlueBook.com, the price for the surgery can reach anywhere from $7000 to $10,000. The fee will cover hospitalization services as well as the fee for the physician that will perform the surgery. The prices listed are for patients covered by their insurance providers.
What is going to be included?
- During an arthroscopic procedure, a small incision will be made in the shoulder area. Using a thin device and a small camera, the doctor will be able to fix the affected joint.
- During a complex surgery such as an open surgery, the doctor will make a larger incision, so that he will be able to access the tissues and joints.
- When shoulder surgery is performed, the doctor will analyze and evaluate the condition of the shoulder prior to surgery. Based on the findings, he will perform the necessary procedure to treat the injured area.
- Hospitalization fees are usually included with the total cost; this applies to those that are covered by insurance.
What are the extra costs?
- The length of the procedure depends on the complication of the injury. To lessen or remove the pain felt during an open surgery, anesthesia will be required. The average price for anesthesia can start at $600 for a surgical procedure that can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Some doctors would charge for the professional fee separately from the total cost of the surgery. The cost for the professional fee usually depends on the skill and experience of the doctor.
Tips to know:
- Always seek the advice of a professional before considering having surgery performed. There are certain injuries that can be treated with therapy as well as other non-invasive procedures. Surgery should be the last resort.
- Ask your doctor if there are alternative solutions to treat shoulder injuries. Remember that different types of injuries can be treated in a number of ways that may not even require surgery.
How can I save money?
- Your insurance provider may be able to cover the cost for shoulder surgery. The price can be greatly reduced with the aid of the insurance provider. In some cases, depending on your coverage plan, insurance providers will be able to provide coverage for the total cost of the procedure, including the appointments before and after the surgery. If you do not have health insurance, consider using services such as eHealthInsurance.com to find a quote.
- Check a list of hospitals that performs the procedure and compare their prices and their performance. If you have no insurance, you may be able to save money by paying cash. Most hospitals will give a large discount to cash patients.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|