How Much Do Shredding Services Cost?
Shredding services are provided to those companies which need their outdated documents and files destroyed for different purposes. Most offices are currently trying to have a paperless environment. This means that most of the transactions, memos and other notifications sent to employees are sent through emails and other types of tools that does not use paper. The exception to this are documents that need to be signed and sealed, such as HR papers. This awareness of wasting paper was not an overnight sensation; rather it was a procedure that resulted from high paper usage and the waste accumulated from it. Also, since outdated files are no longer needed, they take up space in the office for no purpose at all. Shredding services can help get rid of the accumulation of paper in your office.
How much is it?
- Shredding services are provided by several establishments and depending on their rates, the price can vary. Other factors that affect the price of shredding services include the amount of paper that needs to be disposed. The more paper that needs to be shredded, the higher the price of the service will be. On average, most shredding companies will charge by container or weight. On average, services can charge $15 to $40 per 100 pounds if you take it to their location.
- For example, ShredLegal.net is a company that provides shredding services. They charge per container rather than per hour or by the pound. The company compares the charge per pound or hour versus per container, and they state that pricing the service per container is cheaper compared to companies charging by the hour. They also offer on site shredding services for different sized containers, and this can cost anywhere from $20 to $140 per container.
- Slesnick.com has paper shredding service that is charged by the pound. The company provides shredding services for different types of materials, although they mainly shred paper; this usuallys cost anywhere from $15 to $50 depending on the weight of the paper.
What is going to be included?
- The confidentiality of the papers that will be shredded is provided by the company that offers the service. The information will go together with the paper that will be shredded, and it will not be used by the service provider in any form.
- If a company offers shredding services by the container, they would usually provide the container in which the paper will be placed.
What are the extra costs?
- Other types of materials can be shredded aside from papers. The price of the other materials that will be shredded slightly differs from the price of shredding services for papers. The company’s reason for this is that there are additional contaminants added to these types of materials.
- If the shredding service has to come to your location as well as pick up the papers, a fuel surcharge as well as pickup fee can apply. These charges usually start at $50 and go up from there.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you may want to switch to a paperless environment as soon as possible. This will minimize the use of papers and will lessen the need to get shredding services. If in any case you still have papers lying around, assign some employees to have them shredded.
- The price for the shredding services can differ depending on the type of materials used. It would be advisable to have materials with more contaminants to be shredded by professionals while regular paper shredding can be done in house.
- Considering looking at purchasing a shredder. This is a great option for those that only want to shred a few papers here and there. A good, quality shredder will start at $50 and go up from there.
- There are some companies that offer paper recycling and actually pay you rather than charge you. These companies encourage recycling and they will put what looks like a dumpster on the grounds of your business. Papers can be put in this container, and when it is full, call the company for pickup. Although you will not make a large profit on this, it will help the environment by recycling as well as save you money on shredding services. This is not suggester to those with papers that need to remain confidential.