How Much Does a Side of Beef Cost?
Beef is one of the most expensive types of meat compared to others such as pork and chicken. There are several types of beef cuts sold on the market, and each type of cut can be cooked in different ways. Buying beef can be expensive if you purchase it per individual piece. In order to save on this, many people opt to purchase a side of beed. A side of beef is one half of a cow; people who buy a side of beef often save since it is cheaper to purchase the whole thing, kind of like buying wholesale. A side of beef consists of different cuts of beef which can be especially good so you have different cuts that can be cooked in a variety of manners.
How much does a side of beef cost?
- Butchers and farms usually sell sides of beef and they are guaranteed fresh meat. The price of the side of beef usually depends on how much the meat weighs. The butchers can also sell the beef depending on the quality of the cow from which it came. The geographical location of the slaughterhouse would also affect the pricing of the side of beef. On average, a complete side of beef can vary anywhere from $650 to as much as $1,200 for 100 to 150 pounds. Larger cuts that weigh more than 200 to 250 pounds can add 30 to 60 percent more to the estimate.
- For instance, JX Ranch Natural Beef is a butcher that sells a side of beef. They guarantee grass fed lean beef which are hormone and antibiotic free. They include dry aging and processing for $770 to $1,050. The sides of beef they sell usually weigh 110 to 150 pounds.
- HollinFarms.com is another local farm that offers a variety of cuts to their customers. The price of the beef per pound usually costs $5 to $6. A side of beef ordered from them weighs 165 pounds and can cost $800 to $900.
What is going to be included?
- The amount of meat that you can get off of a side of beef varies depending on the size of the cow. Usually, a side of beef can weigh anywhere around 175 to 220 pounds. You should be able to get several cuts that can be made into steaks, roasts, round cuts, hamburger and others.
- The slaughterhouse will cut the beef for you. They can offer standard recommendations when they package and cut the meat. Other parts of the cow such as tongue, liver, and others can be included as well. The bones of the cow will be an option for you to take as well.
What are the extra costs?
- Slaughterhouses will charge for the shipping of the meat. The meat has been dried age and packed and is ready to be cooked. The cost to ship the meat can range anywhere from $20 to $500 depending on the distance as well as the dollar amount of your order. If you choose to pick it up, this fee can be waived.
Tips to know:
- A side of beef is ideal if you have plenty of freezer space since it has a long shelf life. Although your beef consumption should be high as well since this is a lot of beef to have in your possession.
- The different cuts of beef can be cooked a number of ways. Some parts of the beef is tender and can be made into steak. Other parts are tough and need to be tenderized. The side of beef allows for versatility because of these reasons.
How can I save money?
- If you have a lot of friends or family members that would like to chip in and get their share, this is a good way to save some money. If you happen to only purchase choice cuts rather than a variety, you can get a better offer buying just pieces of the beef.
- Instead of purchasing the entire side of beef, consider purchasing the meat by the pound. Most cuts can vary $2 to $7 per pound depending on many factors.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|