How Much Does a Side View Mirror Cost?
The side view mirror is a mirror that is placed on both the driver and passenger side of a car. Because our peripheral vision is limited, driving can be dangerous since we can only clearly see what is in front of us. The mirrors on the side of the car enable you to see what is next to you and behind you, which is essential when turning or yielding.
How much does a side view mirror replacement cost?
- Side view mirrors are designed to complement the look of the car. The price of the side view mirrors will usually depend on the make and model of the car, the type of mirror, the brand and if a professional is used to install the mirrors. On average, side view mirrors can vary anywhere from $10 to as much as $150 for the mirrors only. The installation cost will have to considered an additional expense.
- For instance, a Chevy truck side view mirror could cost anywhere from $24 to $105 depending on the type of vehicle.
- If you need to have the side view mirror replaced by a professional, the cost can vary anywhere from $100 to $250. This will greatly depend on the mirror since some use electric while others are manual.
- On a forum thread on the website CarTalk.com, users claimed that a total repair bill should not cost any more than $200.
- AutoZone.com is an online car part store that sells a variety of side view mirrors. They sell various types of side view mirrors for different car makes and models for $11 to $225.
What is going to be included?
- Side mirrors are designed differently depending on the specifications of the vehicle onto which they will be installed. Some side mirrors can be adjusted manually and will include a connector that leads inside the vehicle where the adjuster is located. Other side mirrors are wired to the car’s control system since they can be operated electrically.
- Side view mirrors come with housing and the mirror glass as well. The product has been tested to conform to federal safety standards and often comes with manufacturer’s warranty.
What are the extra costs?
- If you need side view mirror replacement and you have purchased them already but you do not have the knowledge to install it, you will need to hire a professional to do it for you. This is considered an added cost since you need to bring the car to them and hire them for the installation. Since this is a simple job, most repair shops should not charge any more than $75 to install them.
Tips to know:
- Side view mirrors may seem to be hard to install, but there are side view mirrors that you can install fairly easily, especially if they are manually operated. Power mirrors can be harder to install since you will need to connect the wiring to make it work.
- Side view mirrors can increase your visibility of other motorists. There are even lights that you can install on the mirror which are used for signaling.
How can I save money?
- OEM, or Original Equipment Manufacturer accessories can be more expensive than the ones made by a third party company. However, you will need to consider the quality of the side view mirrors made by third party manufacturers since there is a tendency that the product is not up to the car maker’s standards.
- If you don’t mind buying used, consider purchasing a used part. This alone can save you up to 50 percent.
- Installing a side view mirror isn’t that hard at all. By buying a mirror online, this is a great way to save money on parts and save on labor. Familyhandyman.com has a guide to get you started.
- It’s no secret that dealers charge a lot of money. If possible, avoid having a mirror installed at a dealer.