How Much Does Sidewalk Installation Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Sidewalks are often found throughout downtown areas, on the sides of major roads, and through larger subdivisions. While most homes have the sidewalks installed for them as part of their home building package, some subdivisions may charge extra. There may also be homeowners that want sidewalks installed from their driveway to their front door. The cost of a sidewalk is going to depend on a few factors such as the type of materials used, the size of the sidewalk, and the company performing the procedure.
How much is it?
- Most sidewalks are going to be created with concrete. There are other various forms of concrete, such as stamped concrete, that can bring the price up. Most contractors will charge per square foot of the sidewalk. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $5 to as much as $10 per square foot.
- Sidewalks are usually blocked off into secionts. Plan on spending around $120 to $180 per block. These blocks can measure 4′ x 5′.
- The website Amherst.NY.US states that if a homeowner needs to have a sidewalk installed, the prices can range from $6 to $8 per square foot.
- According to the website Turtlesoft.com, the actual material for a typical sidewalk can cost the contractor about $2.50 per square foot.
What are the extra costs?
- Sidewalks that have complex designs such as wide curves or slopes can often cost more than your average sidewalk.
- Those that want to use premium concrete or have it stained a certain color or tint should plan on adding a few extra dollars per square foot.
- If an older sidewalk has to be removed, the contractor will charge a disposal fee.
- After the sidewalk has been laid, the area around it can often be rather messy. Because of this, many opt to lay sod or even landscape around the area once the walk is finished.
- A sealant and/or finish should be applied to the sidewalk after the job has been completed. This will usually cost $10 to $22 per square foot depending upon the quality of the sealant.
What is going to be included?
- Standard sidewalks will be three feet wide. Unless customized, this is what the contractor is going to recommend.
- Before the procedure begins, the contractor will take the appropriate measurements. Once these measurements have been made, the foundation will be set from one point to the next. After the foundation is set, a steel mesh will be laid and the concrete will be poured out and then leveled immediately. It can take upwards of two days to completely dry away.
How can I save money?
- Almost all concrete companies are going to give estimates for free. Call a few different contractors in your area to get a good idea of what they are going to charge. Websites such as ServiceMagic.com are a great way to find the best quote in your area.
- Installing a sidewalk is not that hard of a job. As noted earlier, a do it yourself job can often cost less than $4 per square foot. Check with various resources online that can assist homeowners with laying concrete sidewalks.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|