How Much Does a Skid Steer Cost?
A skid steer is a smaller, engine-powered machine that has lift arms that can attach to a variety of labor-saving tools. These loaders have four wheels that can mechanically lock in synchronization on each side. These wheels usually won’t have a separate steering mechanism and will hold a fixed straight salitment on the body of the machine. By operating the pair of wheels at different speeds, the machine turns by skidding. Because of its zero radius, it’s capable of becoming extremely maneuverable. The skid steer can rip of soft or fragile surfaces.
How much is it?
- The cost will depend on the model, its features, the brand and where it’s being purchased. On average, the price of a skid steer can cost anywhere from $4,500 to $20,000.
- UsedSkidSteerStore.net is an online store that has an inventory of used skid steers. They offer brand new and used skid steers that can be used for a variety of purposes. The price of the skid steers sold at this site ranges anywhere from $4,500 to $15,500.
- Renting a skid steer can cost anywhere from $125 to $200 a week or around $500 to $900 per week.
What is going to be included?
- Each skid steer possesses the ability to have different capabilities due to the fact that there are several attachments that can be installed in front of the skid steer. They can perform a variety of job that ranges from snow clearing to backhoe capabilities.
- Manufacturers who have its own versions include Bobcat, Caterpillar, Gehl, Hyundai, John Deere, New Holland and Volvo.
What are the extra costs?
- You can install several attachments to the skid steer depending on the required job. Attachments range from sand spreader, tooth bar and material bucket. These are all sold separately and would usually cost anywhere from $1,700 to $3,100 brand new.
- Shipping will also be covered by the buyer and the cost to deliver the skid steer would depend on the seller as well as the distance of the establishment to the buyer’s location.
Tips to know:
- Skid steers are usually used for heavy workloads and should only be used as such. If you don’t have heavy workload, you should consider skipping using these since it can be expensive to acquire or get a hold of skid steers.
How can I save money?
- Look for local rental companies that allow these vehicles to be rented. As a matter of fact, most construction companies do not resort to buying skid steer since they rent it. This enables them to save a lot of money since they don’t have to pay for the maintenance of the vehicle when it is not in use.
- Search the internet for different stores that sell skid steers. It’s best to compare at least three stores to get a fairly good idea what each company is going to charge for one.
- Another way to save is by buying used skid steer. They are reconditioned skid steers that have been overhauled and are presented like new. Make sure that you bring in a mechanic that can check the vehicle before purchasing one.