How Much Does a Skirt Steak Cost?
A skirt steak is long, flat, and is valued more for its flavor than its tenderness. Skirt steak is found in the short plate section of the beef and is considered to be the most flavorful among the steaks.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the retailer and the time of the season, plan on budgeting anywhere from as little as $3.50 to as much as $9 per pound of skirt steak. It is not uncommon to see Kosher skirt steaks go as high as $15 per pound.
- The tenderized skirt steak (Fajita meat) at Pearlspasturedbeef.com, for example, retails for $8 per pound.
- Costco.com sells a USDA Choice Inside Skirt Steak for $4.18 per pound.
- At mizzoumeat.missouri.edu, a skirt steak costs $3.49 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- There are two types of skirt steaks: the inside and outside. The inside skirt, which does not contain a lot of the membrane is the boneless portion of the flank. The outside skirt, which is slightly thicker and is less tough, makes up the trimmed, boneless part of the diaphragm muscle that is connected from the sixth up to the twelfth ribs on the bottom portion of the short plate. When cooked, this steak can be tough to chew, but for some people, they enjoy it since they get to taste the flavor longer.
- If the meat is purchased online, the order will typically be shipped to you in a cooler box packed with dry ice.
- A good grade of steak will be USDA Choice.
- A skirt steak is the most preferred cut of beef for making fajitas, Mexican arrachera, churrasco, Chinese stir fry, Cornish pasties and Bolognese sauce. It is not often grilled and served by itself.
- Because it looks just like a skirt, this cut of beef was originally used for fajitas, which means belt in Spanish, and Philadelphia cheese steak.
- Marinate the skirt steak before grilling in order to lessen the toughness and to achieve more flavor. There are many recipes that can be found online to help you grill the steak to perfection.
- Compared to most steaks, this steak can be grilled within 10 minutes if done properly.
- A skirt steak tends to be very flavorful, tender and actually receives some high remarks from chefs worldwide.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping and handling costs are not included in the abovementioned prices.
- If you are going to marinate the steak, you will need a few other ingredients and spices to do so.
Factors that influence the price:
- Prices of skirt steak vary from one supermarket or butcher to another.
- Some skirt sources may have high overhead expenses, and so they have to pass on the cost to consumers. But if you can get to the supplier directly, or patient enough to search for the cheapest or most reasonably priced skirt, you will significantly cut your budget.
- You will be surprised to know that skirt steak is not readily found at many meat counters at times. Perhaps due to this rarity, the prices could fluctuate according to the supply and demand pattern.
Tips to know:
- Generally, the more tender the beef, the more flavorful it is.
- Beef is graded according to its maturity, texture, and lean color. Grade A beef is the best you can buy.
- Skirt steak is also known by other names, such as Philadelphia Steak, Bayette Aloyau or Hampe, Falda, and Entrana.
- Sometimes skirt steak is called a butcher steak because it is seldom found on meat counters. Usually, the butcher takes this cut home.
- Keep the skirt steak in its original wrapper and place it in the coldest part of your refrigerator. Only freeze the skirt steak if you absolutely must.
- The problem with skirt steak is that it is not always available on the market. If you need skirt steak, make sure you start shopping in advance. If you need it within a few days, you may not be able to order it and have it delivered in time.
Cooking the perfect skirt steak
- Cut the steak across the grain.
- Take off the membrane before cooking.
- Cook the steak over very high heat to sear both sides completely.
- When you flip the steak, put it on a new section of the pan.
- Let the meat sit for a few minutes before slicing.
How can I save money?
- Buy skirt in bulk from a wholesale club such as Costco.
- Check with different meat shops. There are several shops that sell skirt steaks at a reasonable price. If you want to purchase online, make sure that you research the quality of the meat shop from which you are purchasing the steak.
- Ask your local meat shop if it has a schedule for marked down sales. Also, be aware of seasonal sales promotions in supermarkets and butchers. Anything under $5 per pound is usually considered to be a good deal.