How Much Does a Spect Scan Cost?
SPECT is an acronym for the Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography, which is a type of scanning technology that works to understand the flow of blood in the tissues and different organs in the body. Blood flow has always been understood as a crucial part of the bodily functions, and the SPECT scan is considered to be something that detects the right flow of blood in the veins and the arteries. This test is done mainly to detect whether the brain is receiving the correct amount of blood through the correct channels. The major concern that you may have though is how much the cost of this would be, but the importance of this test may outweigh the concern regarding the cost.
How much does it cost?
- For the complete procedure, the costs of the SPECT scan will be anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. This will include two scans and a series of interviews following.
- On the website Mysquirrelbait.com, they state that two basic scanning techniques usually occur, and these would cost around $3,575 to as high as $4,125.
- The website Quackwatch.org stated the complete procedure for the SPECT scan process would be around $3,250.
- There are some cases that the patient will have to undergo a follow-up phase, and the range of the costs could reach as high as $795. This is for the follow-up only and does not include the initial scans.
- For those that have health insurance, be sure to check with your provider because you could be covered. If you do not have a policy, eHealthInsurance.com allows you to browse through hundreds.
What is going to be included?
- The process works with the colored pictures of the different areas or parts of the human brain. It will require the use of radioactive materials that will be injected into the patient. This will ensure that the needed areas for image capture will be properly photographed.
- Three things are typically produced during the examination, and these are the areas of the human brain that are more than often worked too hard, those that work perfectly, and the parts that do not work well at all. The overall procedure has one goal, and that is to ensure there will be the perfect balance of the different brain operations to enable a person to have stable comprehension and have enhanced underactive sections. To learn more about the procedure, NBCI.gov and Mercola.com has an introduction on how the procedure works.
- Once a report comes in, the job then becomes to balance the different parts of the brain. This can often be done through therapy and a specific diet.
- SPECT scan done on the brain can determine which parts of the brain are being affected by dimentia, seizures, clogged blood vessels, and others.
What are the extra costs?
- A follow-up examination may be required for patients that have certain disorders that affect their normal function.
- The injection used will have radioactive material inside, and it is known that there might be some medications needed to ensure the patient will not develop any adverse reactions. These are both additional costs to consider.
- The hospital fee and radiologist fee can be an additional cost if they are not included in the initial price.
Factors that influence the price:
- The patient’s current condition is a major aspect that would affect the pricing. The more severe any brain disorder that the patient has, the higher the price that the examination will have.
- The location of the patient is another element that would affect the price of the test.
- Medical professionals conducting the operation may also affect the cost of the procedure.
Tips to know:
- It is always best to consult your doctor when it comes to the tests and the procedures being offered. This way, you are assured that whatever test you will be doing, it will be something that is really needed.
- Make sure that the SPECT Scan center is a credible provider. It is unwise to work with a medical center that does not have the necessary accreditation as the results they would produce are not trustworthy.
- The SPECT scan is also commonly used to detect heart conditions as well as bone disorders. It can be used to study any organ in detail.
- SPECT scans are not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- When you go to your SPECT scan appointment, make sure you leave all metallic jewelry at home and bring a list of all current medications.
- After the test, the injected radioactive materials will pass through your system within a few hours. The doctor will probably suggest that you drink extra fluids to help this process.
How can I save money?
- If you are employed, then your company’s or individual health insurance just might cover the expense. In fact, the best way to ensure that you save money is to choose a provider that is covered by your health insurance provider.