How Much Do Spider Monkeys Cost?
Spider monkeys are primates that live in the tropical forests of Central and South America. Spider monkeys can be quite large, growing over two feet tall. They also have extremely long limbs in proportion to their bodies, and their tails are so strong that they can almost be used as an extra limb.
Spider monkeys are different from other monkeys in that they do not use their arms for balance, but rather their extremely useful tail. Spider monkeys are also very agile and can be seen swinging from tree to tree as high up as 100 feet. There are seven different sub-species of the spider monkey, all of which are endangered. Because of this fact and the exotic nature of this pet, the price of these monkeys can be extremely high and only available to those who hold the appropriate licenses.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a spider monkey is going to cost anywhere from $2,500 to as much as $12,000.
- On the site Wildanimalworld.com, they list their spider monkeys at quite a hefty price of $10,000 for a male while their females cost around $12,000.
What is going to be included?
- The body of a spider monkey is usually covered with thick hair, covering almost of their body except the face. Colors can include red, orange, brown and gold.
- When you buy a spider monkey, you will end up with an animal that can live for as long as 30 to 35 years. This is quite a hefty lifespan for a pet, and you may need to consider whether you are capable of working or taking care of this animal for the necessary time frame.
- Plus, the animal often requires this constant interaction, and you may have to set aside some specific time to play with it. If you have decided on this, then you will surely end up with one of the most fun monkey species available as a pet. With their long limbs that resemble that of a spider, this is quite a cute and cuddly pet to have.
What are the extra costs?
- Permits to own the spider monkeys would often be one of the primary added costs that you would have to pay. The fee to get the permit would often be based on the city and state in which you reside. Keep in mind that some cities and/or states may ban this type of animal completely. Be sure to look into your local ordinances and laws before purchasing one.
- Seller fees would also be added expenses that you have to look into. Some sellers may require charges in order for them to release the spider monkeys.
- Cages and habitats for the spider monkeys would also be additional expenses that you have to think of. Because of their large size, they will need ample room in which they can play and exercise.
- Almost all the food a spider monkey will eat is fruit. Depending on your location and the time of year, this can be quite expensive.
- Vaccinations also will be your added costs that you have to pay for down the road. There may also be other veterinarian services that will be needed throughout the life of the monkey.
Factors that influence the price:
- If the spider monkey has been given previous vaccines, then you may have to expect the price to increase.
- Spider monkeys that have been trained will often come with the heftiest price and cost as well. Pet owners no longer have to train their monkeys to behave properly as they have already been educated.
Tips to know:
- It is best to look into your capacity to take care of the spider monkeys as these are not easy pets to live with.
- Create a habitat for the monkey that will be ideal for them. This means that it must be kept warm and properly maintained to ensure that it has it has the longest and more comfortable life you can offer.
- The spider monkey must have the necessary vaccinations and treatments as these are animals that can carry diseases. Thus, you have to look into their medical treatments prior to buying one.
How can I save money?
- If you want to save on the costs of the spider monkeys, you may consider buying one that already has all the necessary permits and vaccines. There are always sellers who can offer you a package deal. In fact, there are even some dealers that will get you the habitat as part of the sale.
- With any pet purchase, try your best to talk with a handful of breeders. Ask questions and make sure that you are getting the highest quality of animal for the amount of money you have to spend.