How Much Does a Squirrel Monkey Cost?
The squirrel monkey is one of the popular breed of monkey that is commonly kept as a household pet. This small monkey is cute and cuddly, which is the reason that many people might like it and adopt one. However, pet owners need to keep in mind that squirrel monkeys come at a price and require a large commitment from the owner. Squirrel monkey in the wild reside in the tropical regions of Central and South America. In addition to being kept as a pet, the squirrel monkey is also commonly used for research. Because squirrel monkeys have recently grown in popularity as a pet, they are now often bred in captivity rather than captured from the wild. The price of one of these monkeys will depend on the breeder, the age, the gender, and your location.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the age and breeder from which you adopt a Squirrel monkey, the costs can be anywhere from as little as $1,000 to as much as $8,000.
- According to Petmonkeyinfo.com, Squirrel monkeys cost $6,000 up to $7,500 for babies and $1,000 to $4,000 for adults.
- At Primatestore.com, an online pet breeder that allows you to adopt squirrel monkeys, they claim that the cost of a Squirrel monkey, male or female, is around $2,800.
What is going to be included?
- A Squirrel monkey tends to have short, olive colored fur with a pinch of yellow-orange on its back. The average monkey can grow up to 35cm, and the life span is up to 20 years.
- Depending on the breeder, some may include the initial vaccinations in the cost. You may also be given a starter package with items such as good sample and toys.
- When owning a Squirrel monkey, you do not only have to consider the purchase, but take the whole responsibility and obligation of what you are getting yourself into. Squirrel monkeys are not really recommended to be pets because it is costly. Most people believe that Squirrel monkeys should stay in the wild. Many species of the squirrel monkeys are on the endangered list already.
What are the extra costs?
- You need to provide your Squirrel monkey with its food since it does not eat what you eat or your other pets eat. Its diet is usually compared to those found in its natural habitat, such as tons of fruits and vegetables. You can also feed spider monkeys a specialized pet food called monkey chow.
- The space for your Squirrel monkey should not be too narrow or too wide. You have to spend much on making it feel like it was still on its natural habitat so that it will not lose its vigor and good health condition.
- Vaccination for your Squirrel monkey will be an extra cost. You need to go a veterinarian depending on the vaccination schedule. Each visit might cost you around $350 since you are going to have to find a specialized vet.
- If you want to tame and train your monkey, you need to contact and pay a special trainer.
- Finding a squirrel monkey near your home could be next to impossible. Because of this, you may have to pay shipping fees, which can cost upwards of $400.
- Like a baby, diapers are going to be required for the squirrel monkey. SEE: “How much do diapers cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- Age. Younger monkeys cost much more than the older monkeys. This is because younger Squirrel monkeys are tamer than of the older ones, and since they are younger they are easier to train.
- Ability to reproduce. Some Squirrel monkeys cannot reproduce because they are neutered. Some people say that neutered monkeys get tamer and have a calmer disposition.
- Behavior. The behavior of Squirrel monkeys varies not only because of its gender and age, but many factors as well. Some can be playful but others may not be; these monkeys might not be the kind of monkey everybody would like as a pet. If it shows good behavior then it will be more expensive.
Tips to know:
- Squirrel monkeys are from the wild and this is the reason that you have to learn what the proper handling for them is.
- Provide your Squirrel monkey with lots of fresh air and space to roam; this will help ensure its health and happiness.
- Make sure that you know a lot about Squirrel monkeys because some Squirrel monkeys might attack people; thus, they should be kept away from children and the elderly. Squirrel monkeys can be trained, but that does not take away their natural instincts in certain situations.
How can I save money?
- Provide your monkey with the food that it really eats and never give it dog food or other pet foods because you can put your monkeys health at risk. If you are going to make this large investment, make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|