How Much Does a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Cost?
The Staffordshire bull terrier, also referred to by some as Staffy or Staffie, is among the most widely bred dogs today. Staffordshire bull terriers are typically medium-sized, well-muscled, and smooth-coated dogs that possess considerable strength for their size. A mix between a bulldog and a terrier, this breed is muscular and agile at the same time. It is often affectionate within its family circle and is likewise a game companion that requires a lot of physical stimulation. Buying a Staffordshire bull terrier, just like any breed of dog, needs to be done meticulously and requires a conscientious choice.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the age of the dog, most Staffordshire bull terriers less than three months old are going to cost anywhere from $800 to as much as $2,500. However, older dogs can cost less than $800.
- At K9Stud.com, Staffordshire bull terrier puppies of different ages are being offered in the range of $200 to $1,800, depending on the pedigree, age, and the vendor or breeder.
- Staffordshire bull terrier puppies at PuppyFind.com aged 6 weeks to 21 months cost $500 to $2,600 depending on the age, quality of breed, and the breeder.
- According to Pet-Adoption-Guide.com, the average cost of a Staffordshire bull terrier is around $1,500 or more.
What is going to be included?
- Breeders may require buyers to pay a deposit to hold their puppy. With some breeders, the deposit is $300. Once given to the buyer, the dog will usually already have its microchip (a device that carries the dog’s personal information in case he gets lost or stolen), first vaccinations, dewormings, and a puppy packet (which may include things such as toys, dog food samples, coupons, and puppy treats.
- After all requirements for purchase are completed, the breeder will normally provide the written documentation that the dog’s parents were cleared of health issues that are typical with the breed. Reputable breeders normally present the papers without being asked.
- Reputable breeders will include a health guarantee that will last at least 30 days.
- Pedigrees registered with the AKC will come with authorized paperwork.
- The cost of this type of terrier is usually a shade of red, white, black or blue.
What are the extra costs?
- When buying a Staffordshire bull terrier, the cost of feeding it along with routine veterinary care should be included in the budget. The average cost of owning a medium-sized dog like a Staffordshire bull terrier over a ten-year period is estimated to be over $13,000.
- If the dog has to be shipped through the air, the costs can be as high as $300. Some breeders will include the shipping costs with the adoption fee.
- As with any puppy, obedience classes are highly recommended.
Tips to know:
- Often regarded as the “original” bull-terrier, the Staffordshire bull terrier evolved from the British Isles. It is a direct result of a cross between a smooth-coated terrier and an Old English bulldog. The term Staffordshire was added to the name as a reference to a city of immense interest to the breed, Staffordshire.
- The life span of a Staffordshire bull terrier is 12 to 14 years. Its litter size is usually 4 to 6 puppies.
- It is often recommended that the Staffy be trained from puppyhood due to its innate stubbornness. While its learning rate is high, the dog’s obedience rate is usually low. This is one reason why early training is advised.
- When it comes to care and exercise, the dog usually only needs minimal grooming to keep its coat in top condition. As it is an energetic dog, it often needs plenty of regular exercise
- Before buying a Staffordshire bull terrier, it is vital to learn about the breed, its behavior and the care and exercise it needs. While it makes for a great family pet, the dog can become aggressive and would need supervision.
- Be sure to obtain the health records of the dog, particularly those regarding feeding instructions, shots and wormings. Also, ask about a temperament guarantee and have it put in writing.
Questions to ask:
- How much will it cost to feed and train a Staffordshire bull terrier?
- Are Staffordshire bull terriers suitable in a household with children?
- What are the breeder’s credentials pertaining to the Staffordshire bull terrier and how long have they been breeding?
- Are the dogs registered by the American Kennel Club and other organizations that look after the welfare of dogs?
- If I cannot keep the dog for some reason, will you take it back?
How can I save money?
- Visit various reputable breeders and ask about their puppies and how much they are being sold for. Some breeders may offer lower prices than others. Prices vary from breeder to breeder, so it is often sensible to check with as many as breeders as possible.
- Check with a bull terrier rescue center and ask if there are any dogs up for adoption. They usually cost much less.
- If you are just looking for a family pet, do not worry so much about the quality of the breed.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|