How Much Does Stem Cell Therapy Cost?
Stem cell therapy is believed to have the power to change the face of human disease and the alleviate the suffering caused by these diseases. Stem cells are the building blocks of the body. The stem cells that are formed in early development of an embryo can become one of over 200 types of stem cells. These cells then become specific to a certain part of the body and become capable of self-renewing. Stem cell therapy is the latest innovation in the field of science and medicine today. Stem cell therapy is a kind of intervention that introduces new adult stem cells into the body, particularly to damaged tissues. This kind of intervention has been used to treat various diseases and injuries and is even used by some to slow down the process of aging. Although stem cell therapy is new and quite expensive, its benefits to people’s health and well-being are unquestionable.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of stem cell therapy varies widely depending on the state or location, healthcare provider or facility, the skill and experience of the doctor, diagnosis, and required treatment or procedure, among others. The costs will depend on the complexity of the procedure, but most stem cell therapy treatments are going to be around $19,000 to as much as $60,000.
- According to Stemcellscurediabetes.com, the price of stem cell therapy varies depending upon the implantation methods employed. The total medical expenses for stem cell therapy is around $30,000 to $50,000, except for special cases.
- On the other hand, according to Stemcellsolutions.com.au, a one off treatment costs $9,000 with an initial consultation fee of $100. Patients are required to pay a deposit of $1,800 and the remaining balance of $7,200 is payable on the day of the procedure.
What is going to be included?
- Stem cell therapy includes the introduction of new adult stem cells into damaged tissues in order to treat a disease or injury. When these new stem cells are introduced to the heart, for example, the cells will take on the genetic make up of the damaged heart cells. These will then self-renew and repair the damaged cells.
- The ability of stem-cells to self-renew gives significant potential for generation of tissues that can replace diseased or damaged tissues in the body with a lower risk of rejection as well as harmful side effects. The procedure works well with diseases such as heart failure, diabetes, COPD, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimers, and more.
- The total cost of stem cell therapy includes office fees, sedation, consumables used throughout the procedure, dressing pack for post-operative wound care, and first three post-operative appointments or more, as necessary.
- The cost of stem cell treatment may also include professional fees of the doctor, pre- and post-operative visits to the doctor, medication (if necessary) and post-operative care, and hospital fees. Some overseas clinics may also include transportation from the airport and hotel.
- Since most procedures are going to be overseas, plan on staying upwards of 60 days. Each and every case will be different.
What are the extra costs?
- According to Stemcellscurediabetes.com, additional charges may be required in special cases of stem cell therapy such as those who have general anesthesia, multiple implantation procedures, or patients who are suffering from infections like HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C.
- In case there are complications following the stem cell therapy, the patient may incur additional costs for medication and other expenses relative to the extended treatment.
- Because this treatment is not normally done in the United States, airfare and a hotel will be required when traveling overseas. Other additional expenses to think about are language translators as well.
Tips to know
- Ask for prices of stem cell therapy in your state or other areas so that you will be able to compare prices. You can call various healthcare facilities and hospitals or go online.
- There are many common misconceptions when it comes to stem cell therapy.
- Each type of stem cell has its own purpose and place.
- Stem cell therapy is not able to treat multiple diseases at the same time. Different therapy sessions will be needed for each disease.
- Stem cell therapy is still quite rare, and not all types have been verified. This is the reason that it is almost always done overseas.
- Some people say they had success from stem cell therapy, but that may just be psychological; medical proof of some type should be shown.
- Just because a stem cell comes from your own body does not guarantee that it will work or that you will not have complications.
- The science of stem cell therapy is still being developed. Because of this, long-term effects of the therapy may not be known.
- Make sure you know the difference between experimental therapy and approved therapy.
How can I save money?
- You can save more money in the long run by investing in a good quality stem cell therapy and by getting reputable doctors to perform the procedure.
- Follow your doctor’s advice especially during post-operative care to avoid complications and other problems that could harm your health.
- Most clinics are more than happy to work on a payment plan since health insurance will not be accepted.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|