How Much Does a Storage Unit Cost?
A storage unit is a building where you can store all of your extra belongings that you are unable to fit inside your home or apartment. It may also be a certain area or space in a building where you can keep items that can no longer fit in your office building. As such, a storage unit will be beneficial for your business or even personal use because it will keep items secure and in good condition before they will be transported. Storage units can come in many shapes and sizes and the prices really depend on your geographical location, the size of the unit, and the company offering it.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of a storage unit varies depending on several factors. For instance, the location or state, size or area, and specifications, among others, may have an impact on the price. On average, the prices of a storage unit can range anywhere from as little as $25 to as much as $250 per month.
- A Portable-on-demand (POD) storage unit costs around $200 a month. This is an 8 x 8 x 12 foot unit that can store a 1,200 square foot home. SEE: “How much does a pod cost?“
- A 20 x 20 foot storage unit costs at least $225 a month while monthly dues for a 10 x 20 foot unit is around $95 to $155. A 10 x 15 foot storage space is around $75 to $140 a month.
- According to Answerbag, the monthly cost of a storage unit depends on the size of the unit. For instance, a 5 x 5 foot storage unit costs around $40 to $50. A 10 x 15 foot space runs around $75 to $150 and a 10 x 20 foot storage unit costs around $95 to $180.
Price Range (per month)
5′ x 5′ (small)
$30 to $45
5′ x 7′ (small)
$45 to $65
5′ x 10′ (small)
$45 to $65
4′ x 7′ (small)
$40 to $55
5′ x 15′ (medium)
$75 to $95
7.5′ x 10′ (medium)
$65 to $85
10′ x 10′ (medium)
$85 to $125
10′ x 15′ (medium)
$75 to $130
5′ x 20′ (medium)
$85 to $110
10′ x 20′ (large)
$130 to $170
20′ x 20′ (large)
$175 to $235
What is going to be included?
- The cost of a storage unit may include costs for rental, size or space involved, and duration or length of time the space will be used, and whether the space is climate controlled or not.
- A storage unit may include a regular storage space or area where items are kept, a storage space which is climate controlled, or a portable storage unit.
- All individual storage units will be locked. You and the company itself will be the only ones with keys. If you get your own padlock, than you may be the only one with a key.
- A storage unit is a monthly service where the customer delivers items to the facility and places them as they please. Some companies allow you to do this during the office hours while others allow 24/7 access.
- Most storage units are guarded by a fence and require a PIN to enter the premises. There are also facilities that are located indoors.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for security purposes such as a padlock which costs around $16 to $20.
- A security deposit may also be required.
- Some facilities also charge extra for late payments.
- Some storage spaces may also be climate controlled which can affect the cost. Add around 20% to the costs mentioned above.
Factors the influence the price:
- Size. The size of the area used for storage is usually the largest factor in determining the price. This is usually priced by the square foot. In general, the larger the storage area is, the lower the cost will be per square foot.
- Duration. Some storage companies offer rates per week, month, or year rather than per square foot.
- Conditions. Storage units can be accessed from the outside, meaning that they are exposed to the elements of heat and cold. Some could be opened from the outside but can be temeprature controlled using a thermostat much like a house. Others are located inside a building and are accessed from the inside. These are the most expensive since they are climate controlled throughout the whole building.
Tips to know
- To avoid late charges, make sure that you make your payments on time. There are many facilities that offer auto pay each month to avoid this problem.
- Invest in the security of your property such as getting a good quality lock for your storage unit. If you get your own, however, make sure you know where the back-up key is so that you do not run the risk of getting locked out and having to call a locksmith.
How can I save money?
- Consider paying as much as you can up front. The more money you pay ahead of time, the lower your monthly rate can become.
- Some companies offer promotions such as first month free or buy 11 months, get one free, etc. Consider browsing the area to find the best deal. Most companies are willing to give you a quote right over the phone.
- Be sure to ask yourself if the rental is worth it. If you are just storing furniture worth $100, is it worth the $50 per month charge? Add up the value and make sure it makes sense for your wallet.