How Much Does a Strep Test Cost?
A strep test may be ordered by your doctor if you display the symptoms of strep throat. In order to find out whether there is the presence of streptococcus bacteria in your throat, the throat will be swabbed for saliva, which is then tested for the bacteria. This way, your doctor will be able to diagnose your condition properly if the test shows that you do have strep.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on where the test is done, a strep test will usually us cost between $10 to as much as $65. If it is going to be done in a professional doctor’s office, this will not include the examination fee. Factor in the doctor’s examination and the strep test and the costs will be around $135 to $250.
- The test can also be done at home. These kits can retail for $25 to $45. For example, this at-home Rapid Response kit retails for $33. The box includes 25 strips to a box. TRUEtest strips, on the other hand, retail for $20.
- If the test is going to be done in a doctor’s office, your health insurance policy should more than likely cover it. Be sure to talk with them to learn more about your deductibles and co-pays.
- A quick strep test at the Minute Clinic at CVS, for instance, retails for $27.
- On the other hand, according to mt.ccnmtl.columbia.edu a rapid strep test costs $15.
What is going to be included?
- A rapid strep test is a diagnostic test used to demonstrate whether streptococcus bacteria is present in the patient’s throat.
- The rapid strep test includes rubbing a cotton swab against the back of the throat to get a mucus sample which takes around two seconds. The mucus sample is then tested for protein that comes from strep bacteria. Results are then produced within 10 to 15 minutes. This makes the doctor’s visit very convenient since you can find out if you have and get a prescription in the same appointment rather than needing a follow up with the doctor.
- Findings of a rapid strep test may include the following: a normal or negative result which means that strep bacteria may not be present, and an abnormal or positive strep test result which suggests that strep bacteria are present.
- If the strep bacteria is present, an antibiotic treatment will be started right away.
What are the extra costs?
- A basic doctor’s examination office fee will be around $100.
- If you are diagnosed with strep throat, the medication will need to be purchased from a pharmacy. The doctor may also want to see the patient again once the antibiotics are finished to ensure that the bacteria are no longer present.
- Purchasing a strep test kit or box online or from other states may also require extra charges. Ask the store or seller regarding the terms and conditions for shipping or delivery.
Tips to know
- Check out the cost of a strep test from various healthcare providers so that you can compare prices.
- If you purchase an at-home strep test, you may still end up having to visit the doctor. Most doctors will not give a prescription for antibiotics over the phone without seeing the patient. You telling them that you think you have strep is not enough.
- There are many doctors who discourage the use of at-home strep tests because they believe that these tests show up positive too often even when there is no bacteria present.
- Even if you are feeling better after a couple days, make sure that you finish all of the antibiotics. This can prevent the infection from coming back.
How can I save money?
- Purchase a kit online. For less than $20, you can get more than 100 test strips. This is a great way to get an idea if you have strep and you will have leftovers for the future.
- You can save money by following your doctor’s advice, especially during treatment and medication to avoid having complications.